2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A quick trip report....
Wow what a great trip thanks to the guys who put this together Bret Baker, Rick (McGolfer) Ocean Tackle International, Aluetincas and Underwater Expeditions to name a few and if forgot someone thank to you also.. Thanks to Capt Monte and Raul for putting us on the fish!
We went out to Red Hawk the first night. When we got there the tuna were busting everywhere. I had a flying fish fly right onto the boat and I caught it in my hands!! lol Good sign of things to come. We imediately started catching yellowfin tunas. I was done by 1030 that night had my limit. Others were doing just as well. We fished there until day break and caught all kinds of tuna I believe we had approx. 55 yellowfins that first night. Second night we went to Gunnison after a couple of passes nothing but a couple of blackfins. So Capt Monte and Raul made the right decision to go to Auger a 3 hour ride back the other direction. As soon as we got there we started catching more fish and continued all night long until we finished at approx 7 am with about a 50 lb wahoo. All total there were about 82 YFT's caught. Capt. Monte said we caught more on that trip than they did the whole summer on that boat. We caught a few bottom fish but nothing special a few grouper and a few endangered amberjacks and red snappers.
It was great to fish with so many experienced fisherman. It was nice to see and meet the people who who belong to the Bluewater Board and 360 Tuna. What a great bunch of people to fish with. Trip of a lifetime for me so far. I will write more later when I'm done with cleaning fish.
I'm sure others have more to say about this trip so feel free to add to this thread. This was just a quick report for starters.
Tight lines everyone, Bluewater Dawg :bluefish:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first 2 fish.
Group photo at the dock.
Rick (McGolfer) and John (Grescobia).
Galveston 1602,Texas Seadog,CaboSanDinh

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
It was a great trip. We started by meeting up at willie joes, had a few drinks and shot the sh**. Everybody was hyped up with anticipation from the great weather. we called it a night and met back up at the dock around 0500 to load up. I was suprised that there wasnt as many rods brought than i expected, lol. The plan was to make the 211 mile/10hr run to the redhawk spar. Here is a pic of the ride out

As soon as we arrived at the spar there was plenty of action on top. A couple of YFT were caught on lures from the start but then became obsolete. Chunks were to be the star of the show. many YFT were starting to hit the deck.
anthony with a nice tuna

After a few hours the tuna started responding to lures. shibuki/brabus minnows became the lure of choice for many anglers. I reluctantly tied one on since i was in denial about the lack of a topwater bite. I soon hook up into a tuna that took everything i had and laughed in my face. the fish literally had me pinned down and wouldnt bugde. There were a few times where i thought my carpenter tn87 was goin to explode but it held up fine.

After about 40min(according to other people) i did the unthinkable and handed my rod off the doug. This was the last thing i wanted it to do but i absolutely had nothing left. the combination of miller lite and bud lite didnt help either. the fish ended up breaking off and swam off with my pride. thanks to steve for the coaching he gave me on this humbling experience.
Doug with his second YFT of the night

I took a break and got back in the action. Shortly after, i hooked into 2 more YTF that both came in under 5 minutes.

my second tuna

the bite was insane and fish was hitting the deck at a fast rate all the way into to morning. 55 YFT's were harmed the 1st night! i managed to get a 30lb yft in the morning and saved him for some sashimi later in the day.
jim with his first yft of the trip

·
Registered
44 Posts
The next day we headed to the bottom fishing grounds. the bottom fishing was very slow and off.
later that evening we headed to the tuna grounds. We arrived at Gunnison which only produced a couple of blackfins. We ended leaving and proceeded to go to the Auger spar.
Auger

Althought not as many tuna were boated here(only 27 lol), we still had many successful drifts. This night was slow for chunking but very productive with artificials.
Standing in victory after a short battle

my 4th tuna

jim with his second tuna

a very hungry tuna!

my 5th tuna of the trip

there always seems to be something weird happening in all of the trips i go on... the 1st night a tuna breaks off and circles the boat with 70-100 ft of yellow braid trailing behind. the second night another tuna breaks someone off and just circles the boat with some green braid trailin. the deck hands managed the grab the line and doug quickly spliced the lines and dewayne finished the fight on a rod n reel. i cant believe the tuna was that cooperative while the deckhand held the braid tightly

other interesting moment- chris was using an accurate sr30 and the handle stopped working while fighting a tuna, one of the deck hands began to hand line this fish. As he was pulling in line, chris was manually turning the spool by hand. you had to be there to fully appreciate the visuals.
the trip was a success, met many new anglers and got to fish with some partners in crime. good to see y'all again. The crew was top notch. these are only a few pics i took, hopefully many more will follow. especially the final catch photos. i ended up catching 6 yft and i was no where near the hot stick of the trip. well done guys!

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,836 Posts
You must have caught those first two fish super fast. The guys behind you didn't even have time to move. ;)

B

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
What a tackle testing ground

How bout a little rundown on the reels, rods, plugs used? From the pictures it looks like a lot of high end spinning outfits. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
this was an oti and alutecnos sponsored trip so many oti rods and alutecnos gorrilla reels were used. plenty of stellas and saltigas were used for popping. the main lure used was a shibuki or brabus minnow. few were caught on poppers. as far as popping rods there were many different brands such as oti, carpenter, smith, riple fisher, gusa, JM, shimano, ocean revolution

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was tired when I posted by the time I noticed they were probably the same fish it was too late to change it. They were very similar in size and weight thats why I didn't notice right away. They were different pictures though I was holding up 2 fingers for fish number 2 in one picture.:fish:
You must have caught those first two fish super fast. The guys behind you didn't even have time to move. ;)

B

·
Registered
116 Posts
WOW!!...Great googly moogly!!!!U guys cleaned up!! Thanks for the call this morning Ron, I am in and so is San. I asked if your bro signed up, so far he hasn't for the Dec.4th trip. Hey, how did that Hopper rod w/ur stella perform? According to ur pics it did pretty dang good!!!

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
Fantastic Sounding trip...

From the pictures and the numbers of Tuna, Them Captains are starting to put numbers of fish on that big ole long boat sorta like dem West Coast boats down near Tea-a-wan-na do...

Underwater Expeditions , congrats to you and your efforts..

Congrats to all involved, the instigators and the handle turners

Capt. Monty and your second capt, U DA MEN!!
Heres a thumb-up for each one of yall

The "I need to enter a drawing somewhere for one of those trips" Hog

·
The fish kind
1,316 Posts
Dude, it's 9:00 pm and I'm still vacuum packing tuna. Epic trip for sure!
My arms still ache. You couldn't put together a better bunch of tuna fisherman than was on this trip. Guys (and 1 gal} from all over the U.S.

By the way, African Pompano is in the top 2 or three best tasting fish (fried), that I've ever eaten. Thanks Bret!! :cheers:

I was tired when I posted by the time I noticed they were probably the same fish it was too late to change it. They were very similar in size and weight thats why I didn't notice right away. They were different pictures though I was holding up 2 fingers for fish number 2 in one picture.:fish:

·
Registered
457 Posts
By the way, African Pompano is in the top 2 or three best tasting fish (fried), that I've ever eaten. Thanks Bret!! :cheers:
No problem, glad you like it! It is also great sashimi and ceviche if you like that. Grilled is great too. By the time we were all off and unloaded, I didn't feel like staying to cut the fish. Since I'm moving this next weekend, it would be just one more thing to deal with before then :)

I agree this trip went great. The Alutecnos reels paired great with the OTI rods and the Streamline leaders are awesome. Its the first time I used them, but they were incredibly strong and so simple to tie on.

·
"The Blue Water is My Therapy"
9 Posts
Conservation at its finest...Kill Them ALL

Glad to see yall fished out all of the schools to the west and now are heading east to deplete the remaining schools...I wonder if at any point the captains considered limiting the fishermen to 2 fish? I understand with the economy captains are struggling and need to get people on the boat to pay the bills, but at some point as a conservationist one must question where to draw the line. They have taken away amberjack. Additionally, red snapper and grouper will soon be gone. We all enjoy tuna fishing for the excitement, the challenge, the fight, the taste, etc. But this is one of our last great big game recreational resources we have left in the gulf coast region due to laws produced by rediculous studies and false information. Yes, lets fish as hard as we can and do what we love, but we must remember what we once took for granted as being a mainstay in our fishing communities(snapper and ajs) are now governed in the strictest manor to discourage us from portaking in our passions...Lets try to keep our tuna rights as long as we can and do our part to conserve our fishery...Congrats on the fish, great pictures, and great trip

·
Registered
457 Posts
Glad to see yall fished out all of the schools to the west and now are heading east to deplete the remaining schools...I wonder if at any point the captains considered limiting the fishermen to 2 fish? I understand with the economy captains are struggling and need to get people on the boat to pay the bills, but at some point as a conservationist one must question where to draw the line. They have taken away amberjack. Additionally, red snapper and grouper will soon be gone. We all enjoy tuna fishing for the excitement, the challenge, the fight, the taste, etc. But this is one of our last great big game recreational resources we have left in the gulf coast region due to laws produced by rediculous studies and false information. Yes, lets fish as hard as we can and do what we love, but we must remember what we once took for granted as being a mainstay in our fishing communities(snapper and ajs) are now governed in the strictest manor to discourage us from portaking in our passions...Lets try to keep our tuna rights as long as we can and do our part to conserve our fishery...Congrats on the fish, great pictures, and great trip
youre a clown...thanks for trying to **** in everyone's cheerios.. 3 tuna per trip is limit enough. i remember fishing when it was 10 per night and im not very old. if you're worried about tuna, start a picket line for bluefin, not yellows.

you also need to realize the snapper and AJ stuff is BS and stand up for yourself as a fisherman instead of bending over and letting the government give you the high hard one.

this thread will now remain snapper talk free :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts