2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, Ive been selling a few things on E-bay. Most people pay with paypal which has always been great. Recently, well about a month and a half ago, I sold an outdrive from one of my motors off of my boat. Transaction smooth as usual. Well Friday, I get an e-mail from paypal. The guy who had purchased the outdrive used a company credit card and the company is mad. I understand them being mad and wanting their money back. I look at my account and it says Balance: -$600.00. I do not keep money in my account for this reason. I dont trust anyone. I have no product back so basicly they are trying to steal $600.00 from me. They said on the phone that I have a verified account so I should be covered under the Seller Protection Plan, what a crock. They asked for the tracking number, I gave it to them for investigation. I shipped the drive through AAA Cooper Transportation and it was arranged to be picked up at the dock at AAA Cooper Terminal in Greenville SC. They said it had to be delivered to the recipients address to be covered. Im not out any money because after getting the investigation notice, I withdrew all money from my bank account, but it has been a big bunch of ****, Im closing this band account and opening another. They say they aren't supposed to touch money in your bank account unless you authorize it, well, this hombre aint taking any chances with my $600.00. It wouldn't be so bad if they would give me my drive back. They say thats not in their controll. I am closing my PayPal account account and will continue to tell everyone I know about this.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
It's always a good idea to keep your paypal account empty. The aren't federally insured like your bank account is and operate pretty much at will.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
That's good info to know, SS. Never sold on eBay, only bought (story of my life?). Anyway, thanks for the warning.

Bob

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
I second that!

cracker said:
I never did trust PayPal. I dislike the way they operate.

Cashier's checks for me, when I do any selling.
That's some good info, been doing some recent transactions using PayPal myself. Thought it was pretty secure, thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I cant figure out. I asked them on the phone and they said that I was liable for the transaction. Dont add up to me. This has happened to a lot of others too. Check out the link http://www.paypalsucks.com its a horror story message board. I have always had good luck with them in the past, never one problem unti now, but its a pretty big problem to me. $600.00 is a lot of money for a poor ******* with a fishing habbit.. I too thought they were pretty secure. It could be that they cant find the buyer so someone has to be blamed for it, and its not going to be paypal and that leaves me.

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
I use PayPal...but am only a buyer on Ebay. I even got verified or whatever they call it.

A couple of weeks ago, I got an e-mail that looked exactly like Ebay and was titled "Ebay Account Investigation" sent from [email protected] ...said there was a problem with my account and to fill in the information...I thought it was the real deal until I got down to "MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME" and knew it was a scam. I then looked at the top where the web address is and saw a bunch of numbers....I quickly forwarded it to Ebay to report it. After the mother's maiden name, it asked for the digits on the signature line on the back of the credit card. Just make sure to look at the web address at the top if you get an e-mail like this.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Ebay and Paypal

same company, will never send you an email asking for information. This is the number one way for people to steal your money. They search people that are making high bids, then pick them out in a few weeks to send them the fake emails, they know most of them have some sort of money. Just think about it, if they send out 500 emails and 30 people respond, thats big bucks. If you ever get any type of email asking for account information, do not respond to it, by links or respond. You can always log into your secure account on the secure server. Email is not in any way secure. Be safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts