2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have worn Costas Del Mar sunglasses for probably close to 20 years ( I have 4 pairs, 2 of which I wear daily). Over the years things happen, whether its the products fault or mine. I have always had a great experience when I have had to have any service or warranty work done to them, until now.

I was at a friend's daughters birthday party and one of the kids knocked them off of me on accident (my fault). One of the lens cracked (580G) so I needed to send them in and have new lenses put in, which cost me $80 when I broke a lens one other time. Also, the finish was coming off the frames, which is a product defect and Costa has always replaced the frames under warranty and did not cost me anything (I have had to send in Costas several times over the years for warranty work).

So I filled out the info through www.costadelmar.com and sent them pics of the frame defect and of the cracked lens. Their response was that my sunglasses were out of warranty, but they would sell me a new pair for $196.26.

They did the exact same thing to one of my friends.

I am done with Costa.

Everyone be very careful with your Costa because if something happens to your sunglasses this will probably happen to you.

·
Almost Time
591 Posts
Costa is no longer a U.S. company. It was bought in 2014 by Essilor, a French company that in 2018 merged with Italian company Luxottica. The company also licensed brands Ray-Ban and Oakley.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Costa

Been down this road. I wont buy another pair. Worst customer service I have ever seen...I'm Done with them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Man I hate to hear that. I was an Oakley guy growing up but as you said been an avid supporter of Costa sunglasses for close to 20yr.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am in the same boat I have 6 pair and 2 of them are prescription and the only reason I went with Costa prescription was how they always took care of me but now they don’t... I have been hearing great things about Maui Jim’s may be going to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I switched over to Maui Jim’s. I love them. They are lighter and their nose pieces fit my face better. You won’t regret going with them.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I just went through a warranty issue on a pair of my Costas. It was a hassle going through Luxotica's online process and at one point I had to take the glasses to a Sunglass Hut to be evaluated in person. At the end of the day, the glasses were warrantied. That said, I've switched to Maui Jim's for a variety of reasons including the hassle of the warranty process.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Costa is gone. Their products seem very cheap now days. No customer service and warranty is a beating if you get anything at all. All warranty has to be done by the consumer and the place you bought them cannot help you at all..my last pair (Tico) was sent back 3 times as the rubber on the ear pieces would come off in a few days. I went with Wiley X and have been very happy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm out on Costa's. Their warranty department is horrible to deal with. Too many other really good options for a lot less.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,547 Posts
I like Costa sunglasses so will continue to wear them.

Sorry you had a bad experience OP.

TH

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maui here. There customer service is awesome IMO. I have broken 3 pair over the last 5-6 years and just charge me 15 - 45 to replace them and most of that is shipping. Never a question as to how they broke: nose piece, frame, hinges or temples. Wont wear anything else. I believe in being loyal and they have been good to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another happy customer with Maui Jim. Bought my first pair about 15 yrs ago. Used customer service a couple of times over the years and it went smooth every time. Someone above asked about lens color on water. I like their blue hawaii on the water. Its a mirror lens and it helps with the sun glare on water. For everyday use i prefer the bronze.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just used costa new warranty link and was easy on my phone 3 pairs all covered no problem
One style has been discontinued for 4 years they offered the new style as a replacement for free
Super easy

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Just used costa new warranty link and was easy on my phone 3 pairs all covered no problem
One style has been discontinued for 4 years they offered the new style as a replacement for free
Super easy

I've had similar experience. I like my Costas

1 - 20 of 25 Posts