2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use the betts mullet cast net in the surf? It’s advertised as having heavier line for durability. I’m pretty rough on nets, so that interests me. I am a little wary of the 1” mesh, I’ve never used a net with holes that large. I primarily catch mullet in the surf for bull red cut bait or rigged whole for sharks, so I’m not too worried about losing smaller bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Who said that was spicy?
1,695 Posts
Anyone use the betts mullet cast net in the surf? It’s advertised as having heavier line for durability. I’m pretty rough on nets, so that interests me. I am a little wary of the 1” mesh, I’ve never used a net with holes that large. I primarily catch mullet in the surf for bull red cut bait or rigged whole for sharks, so I’m not too worried about losing smaller bait.

Here’s a link on the new top of the line Betts net. A very nice net with a 1 tear repair guarantee.

I have the Barracuda and it has a 3 tear repair guarantee and comes with a very nice bucket. If you’re worried about tears, the lifetime 3 tear repair of the Barracuda is pretty darn good.

Unless you have a cheap net, the surf is a very safe place to throw a net as you have nothing but hard sand on the bottom.

1” mesh is good for horse mullet that are 10” or bigger. Problem is you’re not always throwing at bait that large when standing on the shore. Throw a 1” mesh net in the spring or summer and you’re likely to catch a net full of smaller bait and you’ll Christmas tree gill them all. Not a good situation for the bait as it will hurt them all and it is a big time killer for you as you try to get them all out of your net.

The better nets like Barracuda’s and the new high end Betts have over 1lb of lead per foot. They sink faster than you think. Plus throwing in the surf, your only in 4’-6’ of depth. The net hits the bottom within a matter of seconds.

I have 3/8” mesh nets and they work great. 14’ diameter (7’ radius) is the max size for Texas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I hadn’t heard if barracuda before. I’ll definitely check them out. That three time half price replacement warranty is hard to pass up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts