2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to bowfishing, almost finished with a 20’ pontoon rigged for it. My wife really wants to kill a big gator gar. Any advise on when and where would be appreciated. Thanks

·
runnin lines and killin time
800 Posts
Where are you located that will help on where 5o find some, with the weather warming up they have been rolling alot more won't be long and they will get into full swing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am located in Temple, would rather Bowfish a lake than a river as we fish from a pontoon. I will travel wherever. Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Usually a good rain will get the females spawning. That or the 100 degree constant weather for us down here gets them rolling.

·
Just plain old bowfisherman
669 Posts
warmer waters in the early spring, coinciding with a rise in the water level will turn them on. Hit the Brazos, Trinity river is off limits

·
Registered
37 Posts
Despite what everyone says, some of the biggest alligator gar are out in the winter time. You don't have much competition in terms of boats, so if you're willing to bundle up I would go in the winter. The water is typically clearer too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Saltwater Bowfishing

I guided bowfishing on the texas coast for 6 years and late august and early september the gar are on the south shorelines schooling up to return to the rivers. 4ft to 8ft. Best time to find them easy.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If it ever rains in the Frio River watershed, Choke Canyon has some monsters.

Have been around many 6’-7’ shot with a bow and countless 5’s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts