2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in then market for a new trailer. What’s the better trailer for saltwater; McClain, coastline or krestas 5th lake? What’s better; greasable hubs or no maintenance sealed vault hubs ? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a McClain and was not happy with either the design or the maintenance issues associated with the trailer itself. Granted this trailer was purchased in 2000, and trailer engineering has improved since then. I replaced this trailer with a Coastline in 2014, for the same boat, and have been very pleased with this trailer. The old trailer was designed with a much greater bunk height, and an overly long tongue that required a much longer boat storage facility and a much wider turning radius. Also, launching the boat and loading the boat were much more difficult with the McClain. Again, I am comparing a 2000 vintage trailer against a 2014 trailer, and product design has changed over that period.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Take your pick on brands. I would add TexAll Aluminum Trailers to your mix of companies to compare. My boat came with a McClain and it is stout. I did have new torsion axels with vault hubs put on it 6 years ago and they have performed as advertised. Torsion axels made a huge difference in how the boat tracked behind the truck. I wouldn't have a trailer with the old-style hubs and seals. I know myself and I'm a set it and forget it person so on boats and trailers I try and minimize the amount of tinkering I have to do. Just check the plate on the hub when you check the air and lube your lugs. If it is in the original position no worries. If it has changed any at all, take it in to get service. They have a 10-year warranty provided you get the 5-year service done on time.

I replaced a few pieces of hardware on mine at McClain's and they seemed like a really nice and knowledgeable group of people. Paragod at TexAll has a great service reputation.

One thing I will always do in the future is order a trailer without lights and run my own in conduit with triplex marine wire cable and a junction box. Since I re-wired my trailer correctly, I have eliminated having to re-wire lights every year. It's been 5 years since I did that and I haven't had to touch the wiring since.

·
archTech
8,576 Posts
I was going to recommend TexAll too, but went to his website and see that he only offers a 1 year warranty and the verbage is stacked in a bad way against the customer. I don't know if that is standard for that industry, but it would seem to me an individual that builds each trailer...one at a time...would be a little more forgiving.

·
Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,041 Posts
i have a coastline on my majek and its by far the best pulling trailer ive owned.
My Coastline is a 2017 and is already getting new axles. Also will be swapping the fenders, everywhere there is a tab the fender is cracked.. Lights have been a constant problem as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Coastline is a 2017 and is already getting new axles. Also will be swapping the fenders, everywhere there is a tab the fender is cracked.. Lights have been a constant problem as well.
mine is a '16 and ive probably put 5k miles on it in 2 years and havent had a problem with mine. I wouldnt call lights a problem. Every trailer has light problems.

·
archTech
8,576 Posts
mine is a '16 and ive probably put 5k miles on it in 2 years and havent had a problem with mine. I wouldnt call lights a problem. Every trailer has light problems.
If you wire up your lights correctly and get them up out of the water you won't have problems with them...over 2 years and haven't had any issues with my lights, and they're the standard el cheapo units on a salt water sled...

·
One more cast....
11,524 Posts
I am having one built currently. I went with coastline even though I live in the houston area. The customer service I received when speaking to people at Mcclain left a lot to be desired. Coastline was very friendly and informative on their product description and process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts