2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just shot the biggest buck of my life two days ago and am trying to inquire about taxidermists. I know of a few really good ones that are really expensive and generally have over a years wait time. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good taxidermist that charges a below premium price for the work. I'm not looking for the cheapest but someone in the middle probably that someone will hopefully vouch for their work. I am located in Cotulla ( South of San Antonio) and have to drive to Dallas this week for a funeral so anywhere between here and Dallas would work.

Thanks guys!

Here is a pic of my South Texas Management buck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I've had some minor work done by John Paul, and it has been great... If I ever get a deer worthy of a shoulder mount, or something worthy of a life size mount (maybe a mountain lion), I'm taking it to him. I've seen his mounts in his shop, and they're great.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
hahaha... good plug JP.

To the OP, remember, 95% of the time, you get what you pay for. This thing will be hanging on your wall for decades and you dont want to frown at it everytime you walk into the room.

My suggestion is look for quality of work. Then price.... I would never consider the time it takes to do it. Good taxis are going to take some time to get it done.

To me, its not worth saving a few hundred bucks and getting it 6 months quicker if the ending result is not up to par....

Again, you are going to be looking at this thing for hopefully the rest of your life.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I've never had any work done in that area, but bear in mind that most people seem to really like their mounts, even if to others they do not look so good. If you are trying to get an excellent mount you may need to look at pictures or actual mounts and see what you like. Look at the details in facial structure, musculature, etc.

Bear in mind that getting a top quality job fast and at a mid or low price may be just a bit unrealistic.

I have never had any work done down there. John Paul posts some nice work, and I have heard a lot of good things about Brush Country Studios, although is may be out of your way.

My last mounts were done in Abilene at Huffaker Taxidermy, but they were shipped there to be done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Man give this guy Doug a call at (936) 203-4247 Great guy and great work he is on the way to Dallas off I-45 north near New Waverly.

·
http://morrisontaxidermy.com/
316 Posts
"I just shot the biggest buck of my life"

Congrats Aggie, I've been deer hunting for almost 40 years and have never taken a deer that nice. You should be very proud of your trophy.

"a good taxidermist that charges a below premium price for the work"

I think you are on the right track there, Aggie. You just killed the buck of your life and you want a good Taxidermist, cheap and fast!!!! I am sure there are any number of people out there who call themselves taxidermist that will be more than willing to deliver what you are looking for.

Good luck to you.

James

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nice Buck Aggie and its going to make a good lookin mount.

Like everyone has said already, you want to find a good quality taxidermist that takes pride in his work and is not just selling quick return time and cheap prices because thats what you will get in your final product, you want a mount that you are proud to show off everytime someone looks at it. Trust me, I have a fairly nice 8 pt on my wall that is the biggest buck I've killed so far, I was young and tight on money when I had him mounted and i found a guy that did taxidermy as a side job and was cheap with quick return time. Well thats what my mount looks like.... cheap work, nose is twisted, eyes aren't set right, 1 ear is set ackward and when you look at the mount you can instantly tell its just bad taxidermy work. I'll eventually have to repay for a mount along with get a new hide to get the mount REDONE.

I looked at John Pauls work on the website and his whitetail mounts look really really good, every mount looks realistic with good muscle tone and detail. I really like the wall pedestal mounts. I don't know his prices but I would sure look into using him for your trophy. I'm sure alot of the taxidermist that are being suggested do good work as well.

Don't make your decision based off of the price and return time! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

Congrats Aggie, I've been deer hunting for almost 40 years and have never taken a deer that nice. You should be very proud of your trophy.

I think you are on the right track there, Aggie. You just killed the buck of your life and you want a good Taxidermist, cheap and fast!!!! I am sure there are any number of people out there who call themselves taxidermist that will be more than willing to deliver what you are looking for.

Good luck to you.

James
Interesting signature line. It's nice to see you're standing tall and helping the OP out.

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
Whatever you do, take it to a shop/studio that has been business and has a reputation, would hate to see you post up in the summer with an "if anybody knows this taxidermist" thread. Fly by night taxidermist are out there, don't want to see you lose your horns and deposit, it happens. Nice buck by the way. rs

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I get all of my work done with Scotty at Scott's Taxidermy in Orange Grove. He's done tons of animals for me over the past 20 years & is generally quick. I've got a buck in with him that I shot in October & am anticipating it to be ready in January or February, cost was $568.31 after tax. 361-384-2308...

By the way, HECK of a buck, congrats...

·
Registered
395 Posts

Good luck to you.

James
Ouch!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sounds like you are trying to sell yourself short for your best deer of your life. Go by the saying "you get what you pay for". I will not waste a bunch of $ on something that I will not like. You got to look at it day in and day out. I love all of my mounts. I know its out of your way but I get my work done in Victoria at Blue Quail Taxidermy. I was referred to Brian and I havent gone anywhere else. I actually got a few birds I will be taking down there next week. Check him out. Might be worth your wild.
www.[B]bluequail[/B].net/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts