2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just lost my lab and am starting to plan for the future. I hate moving on, but can't stand a dogless house. Last one trained professionally, but I want to do this one on my own. Can you reccommend a good book / DVD on the subject. I know of the Gun Dog / Water Dog Series, but have heard some of the methods are outdated. I will get it anyways because I am sure their is some great core info, but was wondering if you have any other references. Basically will be just for dove / quail / grouse / pheasant (no waterfowl). Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I really like Amy Dahl's 10 Minute Retriever. It made sense to me and I used alot of her stuff with my dawg. Worth a read.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I like: The 10-Minute Retriever: How to Make a Well-Mannered, Obedientand Enthusiastic Gun Dog in 10 Minutes a Day by John and Amy Dahl.

Reactions: kmarv

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
Mike Lardy Total Retriever Training, pricey but worth it...Evan Graham has some good stuff too, called SmartWorks i believe. Best training advice is always this, whether you are running simple marks, blinds or difficult quads...If your dog just isnt "getting it" take a step back and K.I.S.S.....keep it simple stupid. Best advice i ever got when i started training 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'm using Evan Grahm's SmartWorks. I bought both the DVD set and the books. Although you could probably get by with one or the other. You should also join www.retrievertraining.net You can pick up lots of good info there. Plus, if you are using Evan's stuff and hit a snag you can post your questions and most likely he will actually be the one to answer you. (That's been the case for me anyhow).

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I personally dont like smartworks. I have the set, tried it. Left me with too many questions and its too expensive. Check out FOWLDOGS I, II, III. Its way more comprehensive and WAAAY cheaper.

·
Registered
217 Posts
ABC's of retriever training by Mike Pind. He also has video's that help out. I use the "doc holiday" bloodline, and havnt had a problem with any of the dogs I've trained. Mike is a good down to earth kind of person, Live Oak Kennels is listed in the Phone book, and he doesnt mind you calling if you happen to run into a hard spot you cant work through on your own. I highly recommend it, especially if your going to start with a new puppy.

Everyone has their favorites and I think its just seeing what works for you and the dog. It's also all about the level you want to train your dog too, everyone has their limits, as well as the dogs limits.
Me personally, I like having a gun dog that's a best friend too. If their well behaved, and will fetch ducks, I dont mind giving them a hand if their having trouble. In the end its all about teamwork and trusting each other.
Everyone's personality, is different, as well as the way they relate to puppies/dogs, so its all about finding your "comfort zone" best of luck, and sorry to hear about your loss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts