2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
I have been pierfishing since 1949. I have fished on piers ranging in quality form the kind that would shake and feel like it was about to fall in the water if a cat walked on it. No lights, no running water, no cleaning/bait stations, not even any trash cans. And forget about a store of any kind that might sell bait, tackle, food or drink. Then again I have fished on the Galveston Fishing Pier (pictured here) and pretty much every thing in between.

There are a couple of good piers in Corpus but for overall quality of the structure itself, amenities, the water it is over and the number/kinds of fish to be caught there, my considered opinion is that the Galveston Fishing Pier is far and away the very best fishing pier that I know of anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I also have pier fished most of my life. My favorite is the Walter Humphrey pier on Pleasure Island in Port Arthur.

·
15,098 Posts
Txfirenfish said:
I also have pier fished most of my life. My favorite is the Walter Humphrey pier on Pleasure Island in Port Arthur.
Is the bull red action pretty good on there in the fall.

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
It's not there any more, but I really enjoyed fishing at Sam's Pier on Surfside. Rickety, no amenities and the owner was a real Axxxxxx, but you could catch the heck out of fish.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
San Luis Pass - Bull Reds, Trout, etc.

Pier at Park in Port A (pice from tx16 gathering) - Flounder

Dozens of motel piers used to be some of the best (and least expensive) trout fishing under the lights at night since I started fishing saltwater around 1963.

Brings back many great memories. CF?

Attachments

529 Posts
HAnds down its the Flagship pier ! Where else can you park and get out and fish ! Only walking is if you want to fish the T-head....guess i'm lazy...lol....pssst it's on my avatar!

·
yakfisher
805 Posts
stay away from 18th street peir. that place has gone down hill bad. we went last night and half the lights didn't work, the whole thing shook when someone walked buy, some of the boards were rotten and the other half of the rails were patched up.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
18th in San Leon? I used to love that place...aways had trout.
jhj415 said:
stay away from 18th street peir. that place has gone down hill bad. we went last night and half the lights didn't work, the whole thing shook when someone walked buy, some of the boards were rotten and the other half of the rails were patched up.

·
I can't see the Rockies from here !!
4,267 Posts
The Okaloosa Island Pier near Destin Florida is about as nice as I've
been on. A very nice place to eat where you pay to fish and the pier
is always clean. I've managed to hook my son up with Kingfish from
the T-head both times we fished there. I've fished the SLP and
Galveston piers and both can be outstanding for trout if the water
is decent but if it isn't then it's hardheads,whiting, sharks and
drum. Later Baker

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Mansfield Cut jetties. Kinda of a pain to get to but well worth the effort. My BIL hooked a nice tarpon in May on a Berkley Gulp with ultra light spinning tackle. One good run and a jump and the fish was free. But really, in terms of fish diversity and solitude it can't be beat. I just might be standing on those rocks in a couple of weeks. SPI jetties are good too but see a lot more traffic.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Redfishr said:
Is the bull red action pretty good on there in the fall.
To be honest, I dont know. I have seen some nice bulls caught there, but when I go I always target trout in the lights. I save my bull hunting for the beach.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Now that's got my funny bone late at night

Walkin' Jacks saying:

"The fishing was so good I thought I was there yesterday"

First time I heard that! LMAO

·
Registered
277 Posts
san luis pass fishing pier.. awesome trout action under the lights. and dont forget bout them bullreds, jacks, and shark that go roamin through there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts