2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys In your opinion whats the best hog bait you have used. I heard everything from deiseled corn to rasberry jello. Got a few living here behind the house, and Bubba found them. Wanted to try to trap or kill them, for meat and so they don't kill my dogs. Any suggestions, or what you use to get them?
BB:work:

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
Soak that corn in water, add strawberry or black cherry jello, let set for a week--you be ready to get dem dar hogs. rs

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
corn, just plain ole yellow corn. You put diesel on it to keep the deer out of your traps
Or to keep the ***** from messing with it.

There's all kinds of things you can put on the corn, or soak the corn and let it sour, but like diveback said, plain ole yellow corn right out of the sack works pretty good and is less trouble.

Place the trap at a feeder or near a hog trail and dribble some corn out the door to the trail.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys, sounds like the therory is correct just about anything. Someone PM me and said a .22 right between the eyes will drop them every time! What do you think of that? I was think .357 to be sure.
BB

·
Watch your top knot.
1,072 Posts
Thanks Guys, sounds like the therory is correct just about anything. Someone PM me and said a .22 right between the eyes will drop them every time! What do you think of that? I was think .357 to be sure.
BB
I have dispatched hundreds of piggys with a .22 between the eyes and it is quiet. Just stick the barrel in the trap and pop.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
X2.

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
Someone PM me and said a .22 right between the eyes will drop them every time! What do you think of that? I was think .357 to be sure.
BB
A .22 solid long rifle (40 gr.) fired from a rifle does the job. Problem is getting the varmint to hold still as they will usually run back and forth in the trap. Shot in head on but off to the side a few degrees as you want to miss the bone ridge running vertically on the forehead. Have the bullet angle so that it enters slight to the right side and exists slightly to the left side, and vice versa.

The only problem with the .357, other than the cost of the round, is trying to make that shot which is certainly easier to make with a rifle.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
also, go to the auto parts or dollar store and hang you some of those strawberry car air fresheners in the trap

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
I have dispatched hundreds of piggys with a .22 between the eyes and it is quiet. Just stick the barrel in the trap and pop.
Although I havn't dispatched hundreds its for sure been more than a few, I'm thinking you were probabally up a little from between the eyes, the hogs I've seen shot rite between the eyes just makes a harder target for the second shot, I try and stay back 15-20 yrds to do the shootn, they seem to stand still, whereas if you get rite up on trap the tend to go balistic before you ever fire a shot. I'll try and hit m center between the eyes n ears, the chin is the first to hit the ground. I'm about to go check 2 traps in a few and hoping for more than a few, if they didn't go in last nite I will bust out my secret bait>>Pizza Dough. BTW I use a 22mag, something every E Tex outlaw owns...WW (ex E Tex outlaw)

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you can get some unrefined crude oil, it works great. Just soak some rags or burlap in it and put them in a trap. Never hurts to put some corn too, but I have trapped them with just oil.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Look at the other post called "son's first hog". That big sow was shot with a 22. She dropped dead in her tracks. It is plenty of caliber to kill the hogs. The bullet went through her head and made it all the way to the lungs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts