2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Call Freddy 832-869-9627. He specializes in granite and tile on kitchens and bathrooms. He just did my bathrooms, chimney and installed tile on my house. He is very detailed and clean + gave me the best price.

Kiko

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Call Artistic Floors @ 713-539-6910 He lives out by Greatwood & works for himself & does excellent work-He did all of my granite & refinished my saltillo tile floors-Beautiful work & very reasonable.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I searched high and low for granite deals before I remodeled my kitchen. I came to the conclusion that there ain't no deals on granite. Most granite places won't tell you the price. They will tell you to have your fabricator contact them and they will deal with them direct. They don't want to price it out, in case the fabricator is going to mark it up and stick it to you. Kind of a cruddy deal, but that's the way they operate.

That being said, depending on the size of the granite, a 2cm slab will cost between $800 - $1200 per slab (depending on size and granite type and grade) or more. A 3 cm slab (same size) will cost about 40% - 50% more. Yes, there are different grades of granite. Obviously the better the grade, the more the cost. Also, try to find a place that keeps their granite indoors. If it sits out in the sun it does change and won't match the pieces under it. Make sure you try to get slabs that are numbered in sequence. That way they will match up very close to the pieces on either side of it when they piece it together. It will never match exactly, but sequential pieces will be fairly close.

The 2cm slab will generally have to have plywood under it for support. The 3 cm usually does not. Fabrication ran me about $1200 or so per slab. They're not cheap. The 3 cm stuff costs more to cut and grind because it's thicker and harder to work with so you will pay more. If you are going to be in your home forever, 3cm might be the way to go. If not, you might want to use the 2cm. We are leaving in a couple of years so we went with the 2cm for the cost difference.

My kitchen has an island also, and we thought we could make it with 2 slabs. Surprise!!! I had to buy a 3rd one to make it work out right. Again, it all depends on the size of the granite slab you decide on and how much counter area you have. Since I didn't need but 1/4 of the 3rd one, I have a 4x6 slab in my garage and will probably make a table when I move up to the lake in a year or two.

I would just make sure that you see some of the work the fabricator has done before you make a choice. Mine was ok, but I wish I had checked out a few more before I committed.

Also, make sure that your fabricator seals the granite before he finishes. They are supposed to, but don't always do it. Don't ask how I know this.

Good Luck on your search. Make sure to have plenty of libation around to counter the pain. :headknock

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
I searched high and low for granite deals before I remodeled my kitchen. I came to the conclusion that there ain't no deals on granite. Most granite places won't tell you the price. They will tell you to have your fabricator contact them and they will deal with them direct. They don't want to price it out, in case the fabricator is going to mark it up and stick it to you. Kind of a cruddy deal, but that's the way they operate.

That being said, depending on the size of the granite, a 2cm slab will cost between $800 - $1200 per slab (depending on size and granite type and grade) or more. A 3 cm slab (same size) will cost about 40% - 50% more. Yes, there are different grades of granite. Obviously the better the grade, the more the cost. Also, try to find a place that keeps their granite indoors. If it sits out in the sun it does change and won't match the pieces under it. Make sure you try to get slabs that are numbered in sequence. That way they will match up very close to the pieces on either side of it when they piece it together. It will never match exactly, but sequential pieces will be fairly close.

The 2cm slab will generally have to have plywood under it for support. The 3 cm usually does not. Fabrication ran me about $1200 or so per slab. They're not cheap. The 3 cm stuff costs more to cut and grind because it's thicker and harder to work with so you will pay more. If you are going to be in your home forever, 3cm might be the way to go. If not, you might want to use the 2cm. We are leaving in a couple of years so we went with the 2cm for the cost difference.

My kitchen has an island also, and we thought we could make it with 2 slabs. Surprise!!! I had to buy a 3rd one to make it work out right. Again, it all depends on the size of the granite slab you decide on and how much counter area you have. Since I didn't need but 1/4 of the 3rd one, I have a 4x6 slab in my garage and will probably make a table when I move up to the lake in a year or two.

I would just make sure that you see some of the work the fabricator has done before you make a choice. Mine was ok, but I wish I had checked out a few more before I committed.

Also, make sure that your fabricator seals the granite before he finishes. They are supposed to, but don't always do it. Don't ask how I know this.

Good Luck on your search. Make sure to have plenty of libation around to counter the pain. :headknock
thanks for the great advice. we saw some today that in our opinion lacked quality on the install. the seam was just terrible.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
You can get a deal if you're willing to do the legwork. I paid $1350 for mine, granite, tear out, decking, fab and install. Color was tropical brown and I did the backsplash myself.

I think I sent you a pm a while back sugar may have been someone else though?

·
OVERWATCH
13,187 Posts
There are tons of deals out there. Places across the street from each will try to out price the other.

Not sure what places you called but every place we did told us price per sq ft, gave us an install price, a choice to either do the tear out/decking work, and several other options.

I guess if you work hard enough you find what you are looking for. Make a call or two and get angry at the situation people tend to give up too soon.

Sorry you had troubles in your search.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
One of our family friends just did my parents house for 1k. 2 bathrooms, kitchen island, 2 counters, also with the extra granite they made 2 spoon holders and cutting board. I'll post pictures later if you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts