2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put a GPS unit on my boat. I will use it mainly in the lakes in North Texas and some at the coast. I would like color, but don't know if it is worth the extra cash.

I would like to have access to maps and such.

What do ya'll use and suggest?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've got a Garmin 188 and have no complaints. I highly recommmend it. They have the 188c with a color screen but it wasn't worth the couple hundred extra dollars to me.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I've got a Garmin 168 sounder loaded with Bluechart 5.5.I had a problem with the sonar-sent the unit in and recieved a new one in the mail 3days later-great product support.I would look at the color screen-the gray and black can be hard to see on a sunny day.

B.D.

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
I bought a Lowrance M68C for my boat, its combo GPS and fish finder and its color too. I really like it. I had heard not to get the combos and heard the Garmins are much better than the others but this one looked right. It was 399.00 at Boaters World. If I'm fishing I use the full screen finder, if I'm under way I use the full screen GPS, I also have the split screen option.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Garmin 178c, have one on my boat and put one on Bigwaters boat as well, has Sonar, Mapping, Celestial, Tides and so much other info. It is Garmins newest, you can PM me after you price shop and I'll see if I can get you a better price...

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Aye, The 178C is the newest and the greatest from Garmin. They've taken care of the problem of seeing it good in sunlight. It's super fast. I picked up the software package and I can go into all kinds of maps from my PC. Load up all the stops the night before, download to a chip, put the chip in the GPS and take off. I can also take my track for the day and save it in my PC/ along with some data. The lunar and tide data is super! So far my transducer has been very acurate.

Bigwater

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Santiago,
.........and Magellan himself went a lot further and all he used was cajones!!!!!!LOL

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use a Garmin 2010 gray scale unit. The gray scale can be difficult to see when the screen is in direct sunshine but I didn't think it was a big enough issue to spend the extra money on a color unit. I can always shade the unit if I need to. The big screen becomes more important every year as most 45+ yr old men would tell you. The Blue Chart Chip datum is a little disappointing since there is a lot of old data in the detail but it is the latest that is available. I run a seperate sonar unit but have friends that have the combo unit and they like it. I bought the unit off of the web for $745 and have been very pleased with it's performance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Gps

I use a Garmin 238 (Gray scale) - love it. Also have the map chip and it makes travel in dark or foul weather much easier. It too has the sounder combined but, I don't really use it too much. I have another brand new in the box if you're interested.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I recently bought a Garmin 188 with the blue chart and love it. Talked with alot of people, both Garmin users and Lowrance users. Garmin is more user friendly to use than the Lowrance and a little more friendly on the pocket book.

Look on line and find the best price you can. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples (such as is some one on line going to charge you extra for a transducer or cable that should be all in the same package). At that point you can either order it on line or you can go down to one of the major boat supply stores and they will usually match any on line price and you can walk out with it that day.

It was earlier this year but I found the best price on line at anchorexpress.com. It took about seven days to get it, but if one of the boat stores wanted my buisness that bad I guess they would have given me the right price the first time and I wouldnt have had to spend two days on the internet looking for a better price to take to them so they could sell one of their over priced items.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
www.gpscity.com or call Conversion Tech of Houston, he's a dealer and will take care of 2cool folks.

Bigwater

·
Registered
515 Posts
Garmin 232

Big Daddy said:
Garmin 178c, have one on my boat and put one on Bigwaters boat as well, has Sonar, Mapping, Celestial, Tides and so much other info. It is Garmins newest, you can PM me after you price shop and I'll see if I can get you a better price...
BigDaddy,

I can get a Garmin 232 on line for under $500........Can you beat that? Or, if you have any other suggestions.......

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys,

I appreciate all of the information you have shared here with me. Garmin is the way I am going. I am going to look at the 276c and the 178c tomorrow and decide which one I want. Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good choice on Garmin. I have the 176C similar to 276C. The 276C is a fine unit, best of all it goes from truck to boat to land and has a bigger screen than handhelds. I suggest getting the BlueChart CD and card. It makes it easier to keep records on your PC. Keep a tight line.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts