2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
It was on fire when I got here!
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a duck call for my son's birthday (26yrs old). I usually buy the cheap ones for my self, but want to get him something he will appreciate.

Open for suggestions.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've got an Echo XLT Single Reed (loud,loud) and a Cuttdown Calls D2 Double Reed Acrylic(soft and raspy). The Echo was about $180 and the Cuttdown was about $120. Both are very easy to blow. You don't need alot of diapham to get good sound out of them. Personally I like the Cuttdown better. The Echo sounds great but it's like a bullhorn. Cuttdowns website is www.cuttdowncalls.com.
Good Luck.

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
If you want to but him something fancy b/c its his birthday then I guess I can understand but if you want to but him a call that will bring the birds in I say theres none better than the ''Yentzen'' made buy Sure Shot... Not only does it have the best sound, there is a reason it comes with a lifetime warrenty.. I've been calling ducks since I was 11 or 12 and now I'm 39 and on my second one..Dog chewed up the first one...

G-Luck and I'm certain your son is gonna enjoy whatever call you get him...Walker

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
For North Texas Mallards the 1970's model OLT. You can still find them new in Box on e-bay sometimes. They make a mallard hen quack like no other, a deep, rich, slightly raspy quack. I shoot alot of mallards every year, and it beats all the new acrylics or plastics hands down, at any cost. If you hunt puddlers alot, the old wooden big barrell OLT cannot be beat! They are good for a feeding chuckle to.

·
Hunting Machine!
5,831 Posts
EndTuition here on the board makes all mine custom and sound great! (check the Wood Turning Board!)

Here are some he made for us! Buck Grunts and Prediter Calls made out of shed antlers and Mesquite!---He majors in Duck Calls but made me these for us on a special request! Very good sound!

swamp

·
Registered
819 Posts
Agree with an earlier post about the Yentzen, I still blow one that I have had since the 1970's. My daughters gave me a RNT Daisy Cutter, sweet sounding call - only thing I have to clean it out frequently - grit, fluids....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts