2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
Lots of good choices.

We use "Exceed Lamb & Rice" which is a store brand from Sam's Club and runs about $30 for a 44-lb sack. I first asked by vet about it, and that's all he uses.

Eukanuba Lamb & Rice is very close to the same thing.

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
Lots of good choices.

We use "Exceed Lamb & Rice" which is a store brand from Sam's Club and runs about $30 for a 44-lb sack. I first asked by vet about it, and that's all he uses.

Eukanuba Lamb & Rice is very close to the same thing.
It is the same thing, I have fed my labs this for 10 years, the Eukanuba salesman told me so. rs

·
Ahh, u should've bought a Shallow Sport!
79 Posts
Diamond Dog

This time of year I feed Diamond Dog High Energy to my lab and my Kelpie (herding dog). The lab does great on it and the Kelpie maintains finish, even after running all day long. The rest of the year they get Diamond Dog Maintenance. They carry it at Tractor Supply and most of the feed stores around here have it.

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,196 Posts
Over the years I've come to one conclusion: if you're running a pointer all day, you need all the high-powered eukanuba stuff. If you've got a lab sitting there with his butt in the blind until he picks up a half-dozen birds over a few hours then goes back to sit on the couch, the vast majority of that high-dollar protein is going to end up in the yard undigested.. The high-dollar foods make a big deal about "compact stools": I can see that being a priority for somebody living in the suburbs who has a disposal issue: I really don't have that issue.. Probably one of the best I've ever used (and I've been through about all of them at one time or another) when economy, etc. come into play, was the extreme dog fuel.. It just seemed like a good all-around package: dogs ate it well, never had any problems, good coats, etc. etc. etc.. I really didn't see any specific pluses or minuses on a lot of the eukanuba, iams, science diet, etc. etc. etc., as I wasn't one of the ones getting paid to sell it... I'm not saying it's not good food, but for a lab, again, a LOT of that money gets picked up in the yard...

The one problem I ever really had with a food, and I guess it's still just speculation on my part, is giving a lab pup some super high-protein eukanuba puppy food. Our best guess, and this is several vets and vet surgeons concurring as well, was that all that protein caused his body growth to outrun the skeletal growth rate: I ended up with lots of knee problems and some really painful joint issues for quite a while when he was young: very expensive and heartbreaking to watch the poor guy live through that. It eventually got "caught up", but not before several surgeries and a heck of a lot of painkillers. To this day I won't feed a lab pup ANYTHING that says "puppy" on it: they do just fine on adult food. The puppy food works well for pregnant and nursing females, however....

Dog food is a business like any other: present your product as superior, and you're going to get a bunch of people that "only want the best for their baby" to buy it: whether their baby needs it or not.. I've seen some dogs in upper-level test and trial training that might be able to approach the nutritional needs that that stuff can supply, (as well as the aforementioned working pointers) but they're very, very few and far between: the average hunting lab won't use 20% of what that stuff's got to offer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have always fed eukanuba but I just got my second lab back from the trainer were she has been for the last 8 months and he has started feeding Loyal dog food.He runs field trial dogs and they seem to be doing great on the food.It is a little cheaper than eukanuba and since I am now feeding two dogs at $35 for a 50 lbs. bag verses $48 it makes a differance.I guide duck hunting and train all the time.I feed the High Performance.The have everything from maint, to pro.If you are not working your dog very much the maint. would be good enough.

·
<------my fishing buddy
513 Posts
This is what I have fed both of my labs from the time they came home till' one year of age or so: http://www.diamondpet.com/products/...food/large_breed_puppy_lamb_and_rice_formula/
No injuries to speak of, just shiny coats and overall healthy dogs.

Now that they are both over a year old I feed them this http://www.diamondpet.com/products/diamond_naturals/dogs/dry_food/extreme_athlete/.

Plenty of energy, continue to have shiny coats, solid stools and my dogs stay injury free (knock on wood).

This food was recomended to me by Vet. He stated that a lot of the other feeds science diet, Eukanuba and a few others that I can't remember were over priced and not that great. Kind of like buying a polo shirt so you have the logo on your shirt.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
i only have experience with APBT. the newer designer "american bully" type dogs. high protein and median fat is desired. the dogs still work and the best foods between all the top breeders for weight/muscle gain, coat, hard stool-

EXCEED - ( heard sams quit selling it though)
diamond extreme athlete

·
Registered
271 Posts
We always fed Eukanuba and Iams. We had up to 13 adult dogs at one time. We bought from Lone Star Pet Supply and they delivered anywhere from 520 -800# at a time with their semi to the house. After WalMart started carrying it we just bought from them. As mentioned nice firm stools, good digestibility, no allergic reactions or hives, good coat, healthy bodies.

·
TexasJ
386 Posts
I own 11 hog dogs and they all get fed Old Yeller from Kroger. LOL. They love it and I love the price, $14.50 for a #50 bag.

I use to feed high protien and wish I still could... I'm still catching hogs though...

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have fed Nutro for past 6 years. Been very happy with it and my dogs love it.

Like someone discussed above, a puppy outgrowing his joints is possible and can lead to joint problems as he is older. This can prevented by feeding a LARGE BREED puppy food for first 12-18 months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts