2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fat boy fresh
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after this winter i am thinking I want to upgrade my depthfinder/gps. I want somthing with a bigger screen mostly. right now i have a compact. I want somthing I can pull a chip or bring the head unit to my computer and load coordinates from a spreadsheet (or i can convert from a spreadsheet to the needed format). I currently have a lowrance, but I am not picky on brand. I also would like something in color but i am so used to grayscale i might not know how to read in color haha. Also one that is easy to set up (sensitivity, and other settings) would be better. right now i know when i am sitting on top of a brush pile and catching fish every other cast right under the transducer the depth finder isn't showing any (I can see the pile though). so whats the best depth finder between 500 and 750 for a bay boat that seldom goes past the end of jetties.

·
It's all about the GULP!
810 Posts
I too am asking this question. I've been shopping them for some time and am hoping to get a good deal at the boat show next week.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I know some had some problems with early models of the HDS series from Lowrance. I got my HDS5 this summer and really like it for an entry level unit.

·
Fat boy fresh
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too am asking this question. I've been shopping them for some time and am hoping to get a good deal at the boat show next week.
i looked last year at the boat show, and i could not find any great deals, a couple of decent ones, but with the economy the way it was/is, i figured i can live with what I have, but now i'm ready to look again. I think my problem is when i go to look they see a guy under 30 in regular ol' clothes and they don't see the $$$$ signs.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Same boat here too. I have a 3 year old Lowrance 520c that died on me. Lowrance want $225.00 to repair it (exchange) with only a 6 month warranty plus 6-8 weeks turnaround. I'm going to apply that money to a new unit....leaning towards a Garmin right now. gb

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Check the 2Cool classifieds

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
i looked last year at the boat show, and i could not find any great deals, a couple of decent ones, but with the economy the way it was/is, i figured i can live with what I have, but now i'm ready to look again. I think my problem is when i go to look they see a guy under 30 in regular ol' clothes and they don't see the $$$$ signs.
ill be there also looking. Prob gonna run into the same problem.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
buy a discontinued garmin, they are getting alot cheaper and there is nothing wrong with a new in box older unit......

garmin's computer software is very easy to use.

·
Lord, beer me strength!
5,041 Posts
Garmin 545s. You will be at the top end of your price range, and will have to buy online, but you can get a new one with warrenty for that money. All coastal maps preloaded.

·
Registered
579 Posts
as much as i hate to say this, stay away from lowrance. customer service sucks, and my hds 5 shakes like hell. told them about it and they sent a new bracket, it was just as bad as the old one. they told me this is the only thing they have,and too get a ram mount for it. GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE NOT!!!!!!

·
It's all about the GULP!
810 Posts
I got a practically new Lowrance lms 520c for 300 today. It will do until I upgrade to a 10" screen.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
wait till you have to deal with humminbird for issues. also several of their screens are hard to read in direct sunlight.

you cannot beat garmin for their software and support
all their stuff is very pc friendly, you just need the patch cable and software if not supplied w the new unit.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
Garmin 498 is coming back out.... AWESOME piece of equipment!

·
Registered
107 Posts
wait till you have to deal with humminbird for issues. also several of their screens are hard to read in direct sunlight.

you cannot beat garmin for their software and support
all their stuff is very pc friendly, you just need the patch cable and software if not supplied w the new unit.
i've never heard of any warranty issues with humminbird since they've been acquired by minn kota. are they hard to deal with?

are they bad after a day in direct sunlight or as soon as powered up??

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I sell them all and still use Garmins. Easiest to use, great tech support, great maps, so so depth finders. If I wanted a great depth finder I'd put a seperate Furuno bottom machine on my boat.

I have some great deals on Garmins and they are offering a $100.00 rebate on the new 400 & 500 series purchased Jan 1 through April 4. For more information check out my website: www.Angler-Products.com

1 - 20 of 29 Posts