2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wood Duck Eradicator
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on getting the Canon S2 IS but after looking around on www.dpreview.com there are other cameras with the same features that are cheaper. Do you get what you pay for with these other cameras? I'm plan on getting a camera in the general price range of $300 - 350. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
88 Ag
6,229 Posts
I guess it really depends on what you want but I was looking last fall and ended up buying a Pentax Optio and at the time it was a 5 megapixel, waterproof (yes-down to 5ft for 30 minutes) and small enough to fit in my shirt pocket while wade fishing. It takes wonderful pictures, I have dunked it in salt water and rinsed it off under the kitchen sink and works great. I got a 256 mb card and the total from ebay was right at $300. Now they have them out to 6 megpixel. I wanted something to take out in the field or water and not have to worry about water damaging it.

·
I shoot sensor bunnies TFP.
753 Posts
What other makes/models were you looking for? More than likely someone here has either personal or indirect experience with most of them.

·
Thank You! Next
7,757 Posts
Spotsndots,

I have the 6 megapixel Pentax Optio wpi, and it was roughly $250 w/ shipping to my door on the internet , Just Google it and shop ..You may get it a hair bit cheaper

·
Wood Duck Eradicator
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want one with a good amount of built in zoom(10-12x) and one that i can later on put a bigger lense on for long range pictures, and also adjustable aperature and video with sound.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Bluegill:
If you've found dpreview.com, then you're already looking in the right place. For the features you mention in your last post, it sounds like you really need a digital SLR (DSLR). There may be some exceptions, but the point and shoot type cameras that usually sell in the $300 neighborhood usually don't have more than 3x zoom and don't allow you to change the lens. However, the DSLR cameras like the Canon Digital Rebel are quite a bit more expensive. I haven't looked one up lately but would guess it's about $900. To get a 10-12x zoom, you'd then need to buy a telephoto lens that would cost several hundred more.

One option of course is to buy a used one. There are always plenty of good ones for sale as the more serious photographers regularly upgrade to the latest technology and leave some really good stuff in their wake.

Bruce

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
Take a look at the Panasonic DMC-FZ30. It may be a bit more than you are looking to spend, but it should be way cheaper than a DSLR. And the pictures I've seen taken with it are great. It's a point and shoot, but it also has a manual focus ring, a hotshoe for an external flash and the ability to add lens converters, like a 2x, wide angle or macro lens. Basically, it's a point and shoot with the features of a DSLR, except for the interchangeable lenses. It's main features are a 12x optical zoom, 8 megapixel and image stabilization.

You'll also need at least a 1 gig memory card and a spare battery pack (you can find cheap replacements if you look around; they're not Panasonic brand, but the price is way better), so you'll need to factor the price of those into your decision. I also think a good camera bag is an essential as well.

For reference, check out some of the pictures I have posted on this board. All were taken with a Panasonic DMC-FZ5. I've been extremely pleased with this camera, though now I'd love to have the extra features found on the FZ30.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts