2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Just call me JJ
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dude's getting tired of whacking rabbits with the 22 and wants to bag his first deer this year. I've got a 243 that his brother shoots, but thinking he might be more comfortable and relaxed shooting something a little smaller. He's a pretty big kid but not huge and his prey the first season will be whitetail doe and maybe a hog or two. I was thinking of 223 or maybe 22-250. What say you?

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
justletmein said:
Dude's getting tired of whacking rabbits with the 22 and wants to bag his first deer this year. I've got a 243 that his brother shoots, but thinking he might be more comfortable and relaxed shooting something a little smaller. He's a pretty big kid but not huge and his prey the first season will be whitetail doe and maybe a hog or two. I was thinking of 223 or maybe 22-250. What say you?
Remington Model 700 SPS youth - .243 caliber

I have a .223 and it just did not give me a comfortable enough blood trail.

·
Registered
795 Posts
my boy is 9 and he i got him a 223, it does the job.... he got him a javi but I will be moving him up to a 243 next year

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
My daughter used a .22-250 on her Red Deer hind last year. Shot placement is very important.

Funny thing is hers dropped as fast as mine and I was using a .375. She used the Federal Premium partition load.

Go figure.

She had used my .243 on her first animal, a feral hog, but the LOP was too long for her. When she is ready we will add another Encore barrel to the stable and move her up again.

Edit: Not to start any caliber wars. Centerfire 22s and the 6mm rounds will do the job with good shot placement, but my view is that when she is ready she will move up to a .257 Bob or maybe a .260 or the like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I started my son out at the age of 6 on a .243 and he is not a big kid or small but he doesn't have any problems with it at all. He has taken a 200+ lb boar and a spike. If you ask him, he will quickly tell you that is his rifle now!!! This rifle is a Remington 788 and I have not put a kick pad of any kind on it. Like the others have stated, shot placement is the key.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/captkb/Hunting%20Album/Parkers1stHog-12-22-05001.jpg

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
It comes down to what fits the child and what they are comfortable shooting. If it does not fit them and they are not comfortable with it, you as asking for problems down the road. My daughter was petite enough that even a youth stock had too long a LOP for her. She now has an Encore that fits her and can be upsized in caliber whenever we like.

There is no one answer for everyone.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Add some lead

Hey,
When my daughter first started hunting at 9 years old.
I took the recoil pad off a syathetic stock .243 and added some lead shot.
But you must mix some caulking with the lead shot.
Or the stock will rattle,when moved.
I had the .243 tip the scale at 14 lbs.
In a deer stand with sand bags,the gun was steady and no kick.
She couldn't pick the gun up,but with the sand bags all she had to do was
move the gun from side to side or up and down.
Then went she got older all I did was dig the caulking out of the stock.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Well I am a 223 freak but... I use Barnes X bullets. They are absoloutley so dependable as far as penetration and blood trails. My kids hunted with one when he was 7 and recoil was never discussed.

Charlie

·
15,099 Posts
Main Frame 8 said:
Remington Model 700 SPS youth - .243 caliber

QUOTE]Gets my vote and both my sons have one each.
My oldest started a couple of years ago and my youngest, last year.
They are small boys, but both handle it well.
They will be shooting these rifles for many years to come.
We're going to the rifle range today to practice....as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My 8 yo boy shoots a 243 TC Encore with the bantam / youth stock. I changed out the factory recoil pad for a Sims recoil pad. I load 85 gr Nosler Partitions for him and he is quite deadly inside of 150 yard.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My son Tyler has shot a 243 since he was 7. Has a 3 doe's, 3 spikes, and the buck in my avitar. Has never complained a bit and loves shooting the gun. All I have changed are the rounds. Just keep getting a little hotter every year.. The Hornady 100 Light Mags he shot last year did a great job. The deer don't stand a chance with that round! Kind of make a little mess, but well worth it to me. His gun is a Tika and you can drive tacks with it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts