2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a weekend cabin for some remote property a few miles east of Centerville. I thought about getting a sea container and adding a door and windows but they are only 7'8" wide inside. I found a place called Lone Star Structures about 75 miles away that will build and deliver a decent wooden 12'X24' building with a door and two windows for about $4700. I think I would rather have wood than the thin 29 ga sheetmetal in many portable buildings. I just need a place for the wife to sleep indoors or she won't go with me. I don't think I want to try to build the whole thing myself unless there is a whole lot of money to be saved but I will insulate it , put in the electrical, and add a few extra windows. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
That sounds like a reasonable price. My suggestion is to have your wife help with the esthetics of the inside so she will feel like a part of the decision making process. Also kitchen and sleeping arrangements should be her forte. If you want her to go with you she must be happy and comfortable. Just my 2 cents from a woman's point of view.
RT

·
Remember the Veterans
8,047 Posts
I allways liked the red barn with a loft from lowes or home depot.
I built one when I had my 40 acre ranch in Freer. Very nice and I built it for under $2000. Pre-fab your pieces at home and assembly with deck screws and a cordless drill. Plans are available on the internet. Mine was 12 x 20 and also had a 12 x 12 deck. Little bathroom with a chemical porta potty from Academy. Electric generator and a couple of PROPANE Coleman Lanterns (never us a gasoline coleman lantern indoors)

·
Remember the Veterans
8,047 Posts
That sounds like a reasonable price. My suggestion is to have your wife help with the esthetics of the inside so she will feel like a part of the decision making process. Also kitchen and sleeping arrangements should be her forte. If you want her to go with you she must be happy and comfortable. Just my 2 cents from a woman's point of view.
RT
2X

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
I thought you were looking for a cabin for Tiger to hide in from Elin and her 9 iron... LOL

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,868 Posts
it might be easier to pick up a used travel trailer
That was my thought...pour a slab with a small patio area and park a trailer on it! You still have to run the utilities...but when you decide to leave you take the skirt down...put the tires back on and drive off!

·
swifty
3,234 Posts
I'd have to completely agree with Timemachine. Keep it simple and you should come way under $4700.

I built one when I had my 40 acre ranch in Freer. Very nice and I built it for under $2000. Pre-fab your pieces at home and assembly with deck screws and a cordless drill. Plans are available on the internet. Mine was 12 x 20 and also had a 12 x 12 deck. Little bathroom with a chemical porta potty from Academy. Electric generator and a couple of PROPANE Coleman Lanterns (never us a gasoline coleman lantern indoors)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I agree with the travel trailer idea. By the time you buy the building, finish it out, then put in beds, stove, bath, etc. you could have bought a used travel trailer and they come with beds, kitchen, heater, Air Conditioner, bath with holding tanks, living area, etc.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've done both the portable building and the RV. Without knowing a little more about your situation, I would recommend the RV.

I bought a 35' 5th wheel from a repo guy for $3000. It was in really bad shape. I worked on it in the driveway on nights and weekends, put another $1000 into it and it was like new. My wife loved it. I had to borrow a truck to move it, but I only did that twice. Nice thing is when life changed we were easily able to move the trailer and we eventually sold it.

The problem with the portable is working on it. When you do get the time to get out there, who wants to work? There is also the problem of having what you need. You just can't run by store on the way home from work to pick something up.

Unless you want something semi-permanent and your wife isn't completely against it, go with the trailer.

Just my .02

·
Don't touch my junk, bro!
5,844 Posts
Me, I'd go with the travel trailer, too. Its already built, ready to live in.
Consider building an awning to park it under to keep it out of the elements, though, and that will help it last longer.

http://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/1531569809.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/1531393188.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/1528908871.html

Rough, needs work, cheap

http://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/1528563933.html

Do you already have a waste disposal setup? If you have septic, you should be able to rv dump right into it.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My place does not have power or water and I don't have a truck to pull an RV so I don't think that would work. I thought with a building I would use my 2KW generator for a couple of lights and a fan. I'll carry spring water in a bucket.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I am sure there are enough guys on here with trucks that would gladly move the trailer for you if you buy one,

·
In God We Trust
2,565 Posts
first off do you own the property? I'm taking it you do. How long do you plan on keeping it, and how much do you plan on paying? Satterwhite will come out and dry in a small log home you finish the wood and do the plumbing and electrical your self. this will last all you have to do is insulate the attic. Will hold up longer than plywood building or travel trailer. then if you build a home later you will have a nice guest house or a start to a bed and breakfast.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I own the property and plan to keep it. I do not want to spend much over $5K because it likely my citygirl wife wouldn't go there very often even if I built her a mansion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts