2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using classic 150 grain core lokts but i do not like the amount of bullet drop at long ranges. Any suggestions on a good 130 grain bullet?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have been shooting Federal Premium 130 Gr. Ballistic tips out of mine. They are accurate but I don't like the lack of blood trail on heart shot deer. I have also never lost one of these heart shot deer. The cool part is you will almost always find your slug between the hide and meat when you clean them.

When I use up all of my ballistic tips I am going to revert back to the Federal Premium 130 Gr. Nosler Partition. They are nearly as accurate and will create an exit hole.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have had great luck with the Speer 130 gr boat tail soft point. It'll consistently shoot 1" groups at 100 yds out of my Winchester Featherweight. I've shot many whitetails, axis, hogs and 2 mule deer with this load. Several times on the bigger axis bucks and mule deer I've found the mushroomed bullet under the hide on the off side. I shot Hornadys out of this rifle for many years and the accuracy was as good but bullet expansion was very unreliable. I'm taking this rifle to WY on an elk hunt next month but I'll be using 150 gr Noslers.

·
Registered
381 Posts
For handloading,I have shot many different loads but settled on the Sierra gameking 130 gr......the 270 was designed around the 130gr and anything heavier just dosen't give you the optimum preformance.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've been shooting the Federal 130gr. Ballistic Tips and I love the accuracy, but I agree with others above about no exit hole. Tracking big S. Texas deer though rattler infested brush without a lot of blood is not exactly the most ideal situation. 130gr is definitely the way to go and there are a few choices out there!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I shot 130 grain Remington Core Lokts forever and switched to Federal Premium with the Barnes TSX bullet two years ago and you will have a hard time getting me to switch to anything else. I love the Barnes bullet. My rifle will put 3 shots in the same hole and last year, I shot a deer that was quartering to me. The bullet went in his front left shoulder and I recovered it just inside the hide in his right ham. I cleaned the bullet and weighed it at a little over 129 grains. I was really impressed with how well the bullet held together, not to mention the accuracy. I'd highly recommend it.

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
Hornady Light Magnum, think its 130gr. cant remember, sold it 2 years ago. Shot several different brands and that is what did best with that particular gun.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
You would be hard pressed to best the Barnes tipped XXX in either 130 or 140 grains. Tremendous bullet, that now with the plastic tip seems to be a bunch more accurate.

Another bullet I am anxious to try is the Nosler Accubond. It's tipped, has great ballistic coefficient, and appears to have an excellent construction. It's also available in 130-140 grains.

Remember Jack O'Connor killed a bunch of elk with 130 gr 270's. And that was with the old style (core lokt) type of bullets. Many of the writers these days say that because of the quality of the bullets available these days, you can move down a caliber or a bullet size and still get the same performance.

THE JAMMER

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
you can go to remington and winchester's site and go to their ballistics page and that can get you in the ballpark of some different ammo for longer ranges.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

I use the old Winchester 130 grain Silvertips.......You have to look hard for them at gun shows but in my Remington 700 they are unmatched for performance and knock down power...I have also had good luck with Hornady 140 boat tails.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Jammer, thanks for mentioning Jack O'Connor, boy does that bring back memories of his stories on the 270. As a kid his articles were the first thing I read when I got my monthly issue of Outdoor Life.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Barnes TSX for everything. Haven't tried the tipped version but will soon. I have never had a failure with the Barnes X bullets. I had my best run with 23 consecutive one shot kills on medium game with them, then I got overconfident and started blowing some shots.

Nosler Accubond or Hornaday Interbond for medium game like Mule & Axis Deer and bigger Hogs

Hornaday SST's for smaller Deer. The SST's have dropped everything DRT but out of nine deer I had one mystery reaction so the verdict is still out.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,581 Posts
The way I look at it; if Jack O'Connor can kill all the game that he did with the 130 grain Core Lokt bullet, and since the deer haven't obtained body armour since he did, that old 130 grain Remington Core Lokt bullet is good enough for me.

It's all I shoot in my .270.

TH

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Your problem is with the balistic tip portion. Most balistic tip rounds break apart andor expand to easy upon impact. Just the shock of impact starts to damage balistic tips. Very good information was provided on other rounds available to you. You seem interested in long range shots. Thus I would buy a box as listed above and try that load at long range and learn what the bullet can do with you and your rifle. It might take some time and money to get the best performance but that is what is required. It does not matter what I shoot if your gun does not like my rounds. Test, test and test

1 - 20 of 31 Posts