2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mates,

I am looking at repowering with 4 new 27 series batteries on my boat. I have used Interstates for 15 years or so on other boats and they have been OK at best. Rarely do I get a couple of good years out of them. I have not tried the sealed or six-pack styles. Are they worth the coin? I do not mind paying primo for better longevity and reliability. I recently saw some phenomenal warranty offers on MAXX (yellow and black) dual type deep cycle/cranking batteries at Sam's or WalMart but I am skeptical. Please share your experience and recommendations before I drop the hammer.

·
Banned
731 Posts
I feel the key to batteries is maintenance. Everytime I would change the lower until oil on my old yami's I would also do two other things. One, pull the props and grease the shafts as well as the other grease points on the motors. Two, add water to the batteries.

If you get into the habit of doing these things as routine, it makes it easy.

I have really never had boat batteries that last much more than 3 years on the ocean. The only time I ever had the high dollar ones in there, one of the neighbors stole them. That taught me, I went to wally world from there on out.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've got the original interstates in a boat I bought new in may of '06 and they are still hot as hell but i'm going to replace them soon. I've got optimax's which require alot of juice and i've never had a problem. I also do like ET said and water them every few months. I will buy interstates when I replace them.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Odyssey. Hands down. I will never go back to traditional batteries.

Odyssey batteries can be bought direct or as one model the Sears Diehard series of batteries.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Get the optima blue top. I will neve buy a non-gel cell batterie. Adding water is a pain in the butt and I hate replacing batteries every year and a half. I have had blue top last me five years.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Second on the Optima Blue Top. I have three of them on my 30ft Grady White. They have been working for over three years now with zero issues. And no water to deal with it. Best batteries I have ever owned. Dang expensive but IMO well worth it so far.

·
fish control my brain
7,705 Posts
Odyssey is by far the best battery out there ... that is why the milatary uses them .... if money in no object get you some ...

On the other hand, I like fresh batts. to insure myself, that I get home.

Wet-cell Deep cycle only last 2 - 4 years ...... their biggest killer is running them out of water ..... they need to be checked every other month, and don't over fill them.

Battery chargers will heat them up and evaporate the water, as well as use....

Interstate IMO makes the best Wet-cell, with the best case.

IF you can not easily access your batteries, then go to the AGM/ gel cell style.

Optima is the most popular, but Yamaha suggest you don't use one as the starting battery according to some mechanics.

But for your electroncis, live wells, and lights go fo it!

The cool thing about the gell cell style is they can be mounted on their side or upside down...... and if something goes thru it and punctures the case, they will still work.

I had a set bust loose in rough seas, and they bounced around hard under the deck. One landed on a long bolt and it broke off in it...it was about 4" long .... I pulled it out, shot some 5200 in it and used duck tape, it was still good for a year after that ....

·
dontremember
3,211 Posts
diesel boat has a pair of wet 8d's. they're on a maintainer and last many years as long as you don't let 'em run out of water. outboard boat has an agm. don't remember the brand, but it came from west marine. this is the replacement for one that failed after a year. the reason for failure is that i let it get pulled down by some electronics that were not turned off (stereo memory). once that happens you can't recharge 'em. current agm has been doing fine for a couple of years. i just hit it with the charger occasionally.

G

·
Go With AGM

I agree with Boomer and High Hopes on using the AGM type of battery compared to the gel cell or wet-cell. I've had 4 of the West Marine Sea Volt AGM batteries for 3 years and have never had a problem. I run my boat 2-3 times a month June - Sept and maybe 3-4 times total between October and April. I've never used a trickle charger and the batteries keep their charge between trips. They cost more, but when you go 60-125 miles offshore you don't want to be cutting corners. Here is a comparison between the Sea Volt and Optima Blue Top for their group 31 batteries. Group 27's run $20-40 less.

West Marine - Sea Volt AGM 12V Battery, Group 31, 105 Ah, 1000 MCA, 190 Res. Min., 12.9"L x 6.75"W x 9.4"H, 70lb.
List price at West Marine $259

Optima Blue Top 12V Battery, Group 31, 80 Ah, 1125 MCA, 155 Res. Min., 12.8"L x 6.5"W x 9.4"H, 60lb. List price at Boater's World $322

·
29' TWIN VEE
103 Posts
Busha says not for Suzuki

I put out the money on the blue marine Optima and have gone thru 2 battery's since May 2009 on new Twin 2008 DF200 Suzuki's same motor.
Busha Boat works says Suzuki will not warranty the computers on them with the optima's installed .Busha checked the cables ,switches ,and I believe starter and came back with Battery again So now I am stuck with a pair of optimas for just running the night lights I guress...Just A waste of good money to me .GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I dunno, some like two cranking batteries and two house batteries, ones you can use as spares too.

Myself, all batteries have a certain number of discharge cycles and you might as well use the cheaper wet batteries unless you really want maintenance free AGM ones, in which case you'll pay double or triple. It's your money and piece of mind. The AGM batteries last exactly as long as the common wet ones, perhaps a little longer because people don't maintain wet batteries usually.

As to the engines, I find it very unlucky to turn them off at sea, unless you're in a sailboat with a nice solar or wind charging system. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't like "doing the dance" to figure out why an engine won't restart.

The only wet batteries I found difficult to work with were heavy-duty ones for marine diesel engines. We always left those on a trickle charger and yes, you had to maintain the water level and use a hygrometer or something to check the acidity, but gee, that was like once every 4 or 6 months and didn't take but 10 minutes. That was nothing compared to changing out all the lube oil, installing all new filters, and checking all the hose clamps. And then cleaning the dang bilge!

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Not sure I understand....is the output different?

I put out the money on the blue marine Optima and have gone thru 2 battery's since May 2009 on new Twin 2008 DF200 Suzuki's same motor.
Busha Boat works says Suzuki will not warranty the computers on them with the optima's installed .Busha checked the cables ,switches ,and I believe starter and came back with Battery again So now I am stuck with a pair of optimas for just running the night lights I guress...Just A waste of good money to me .GOOD LUCK
Is there a website discussing this problem with Optimas?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I like the Optima blue tops. We have sold and installed quite a few with out any trouble. If you run it all the way down a smart charger is the best way to bring them back up. They are about $200 each. Normally see them last 3 or more years if well maintained.
Never heard anything about computer problems with them. None of the big diesel engine manufactures seem concerned about them and the computers on some of them cost more than some outboard engines.

G

·
Fool Proof (almost) Battery Set Up On Suzukis

Mahi - sorry to hear you had problems with the Optima BlueTop. Didn't know Suzuki had certain brands or types of "approved" batteries. I've got the factory service manual on the DF175's and the only reference I see is that they recommend batteries with at least 100 Ah capacity.

Gas Can - don't know if you run Suzuki's, but if so they have a pretty cool option built in, called an isolation circuit. This allows one motor to charge two batteries, starting with the one that has the lowest charge. I've got twin Suzuki 175's and 4 AGM batteries, 2 are group 24s and 2 are group 27s. The two group 27s are set up in parallel and serve as my "house" battery bank that runs all electrical equipment (radar, chartplotter, lights, etc.). Each group 24 battery is dedicated as a starting battery for one engine. Each motor charges its own starting battery and the house batteries, starting with the lowest battery in the group. All batteries are linked through combiner switches that allow me select to 1, 2, 3, or all 4 batteries and dedicate the entire bunch to start one motor. I never have to worry about selecting which battery needs to get charged, because as long as one motor is running, one starting battery and the house batteries are being charged. When we do overnight trips we turn one motor off and conserve fuel. If you're not running Suzuki's you can still purchase isolator circuits and run the same set up.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I'm thinking it's a warranty thing with the Suzes. If you look at the long list of things, you could also violate the warranty for using the wrong spec fuel, like too much ethanol in it.

I mean come on, unless you have a high discharge lithium battery that could blow your boat up, the wet cell and AGM batteries are pretty much the same stuff, same volts and amps.

There ain't no such thing as "blue top" electrons, ma friends! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have had the same Trojan batteries for 4 yrs now. Keep thinking they should be fading by now. I should replace them soon. Best batteries / charging system I have owned and will buy the same again.

·
Tempus Fugit
423 Posts
FWIW You can get Optima blue tops at Sam's for $155 each.

I've had mixed results with Optimas in vehicles, never seem to last any longer than regular batteries, and in some cases they haven't lasted as well.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Had triple blue tops on my center console, no trouble in 4 years, then sold the boat.

Just put a yellow top on a John Deere 4430 that hadn't cranked in years... fired right up. That battery has some juice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts