2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best Rod length and action for fishing the jetties in Galveston? Good Baitcast reel Ratio for fishing for reds and specks... I'm a bass fisherman on Lake Conroe so I have some medium heavy Rods but the longest I have is 7 ft and most of my reels are a 6:2.Im thinking I need a Baitcaster that would hold 300 yards of Braid. ..The guys I saw today had 8' Medium action Rods with fast tip.. TIA...

·
Registered
166 Posts
7ft rod is plenty. I would recommend one rated for saltwater. I have 2 Waterloo Salinity rods. I like medium light/ moderate fast. Couple that with a Lew's inshore custom or equivalent baitcaster and you have a very adequate set up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Just a thought. I've been a baitcaster guy since the 80s, but when I fish the jetties, I usually go with a spinning rig. Main reason is for free-lining live bait (my preferred bait), we usually end up on the protected side of the jetty which means casting into the wind with very little weight on the line. Also, when you start hooking up with big bull reds, the Spinning rig works better for bigger fish (for me).

·
Catch a New Personal Best- Learn How!
13,034 Posts
to add to what the others are saying, at least for trout and reds, you won't need 300 yards for 98% of the fish you'll catch at the jetties. They guys above really covered it well. That said if you are ONLY targeting bull reds then you might need a different set up. Both the above are definitely the way to go for trout and slot reds. Bull Reds... yes having a reel with 200 250 yds would be beneficial if you are fishing from the jetties. Like Reed said, a spinner would allow you to cast further from the jetties (rocks) ... something like a 5-6000 class spinner.. maybe a Diawa BG... on a 9-12' graphite surf casting rod would be the most versatile. That said, if you you are fishing the jetties from a boat for bull reds, then you dont need anything that heavy. A good med - heavy 6-7' rod with 100-150 yards of braid will catch a lot of bull reds given that in the boat you're able to chase them with the boat. If you do an anchored set up... then we're back to a 300 class baitcast reel ... something like a Lews super duty 300 would work great for that either of those boat situations.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would say 2 rods a 6'6" to 7'6" ML or Med power rod, and the action is just what ever you personally like, with a 70 to a 150 sized reel. This will cover most of the fishing you will be doing. If you get into alot of bull reds or target bigger fish a 7' or 7'6" MH with a 200- 400 class bait casting reel depending on if your casting plastic or live / dead bait. If your your wanting to cast the big live / dead baits out for bulll reds or sharks 7'6" MH with a 5000 size spinning reel. I have caught tons of bull reds on a 7' ML with a 70 to 150 size reel fishing for trout or just making the bull reds sporty. Only thing is with the smaller bait casting reels you can burn the drag and bearings up faster then you think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was raised on the Texas Gulf Coast. I fished for Reds and trout a LOT and always used a 7' medium-heavy popping rod with a soft tip mated to an ABU 6000 or 6500. I a lot of years fishing in that area, in mostly inland type protected waters. I only had to chase one down in my boat and that one was a monster and pretty much a freak for that area. 48" plus reds don't normally run up into the inlets that far. I was in the extreme north end of Sabine Lake on the Texas Louisiana border. When the tide goes out the water is fresh enough for the freshwater fish to move in and then when the tide came in the trout came back. The Redfish and flounder didn't seem to mind the salinity change very much. On a really good day, you might catch and release 50 fish. I usually only kept a couple plus any flounder that I caught. I never froze any of them and ate them within a day or two at the most. Good times with my Dad. I miss the fishing there and my Dad now but the memories are priceless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.