2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search and still didn't see a lot of reponses about guns in my price range. I'm looking for a shotgun in the 300-400 dollar range. My last gun was a 870 express that's no longer useable(long story) I'd like to replace it with something different as the gun just didn't suit me very well.

I've done a lot of research and I'm still lost on what type of shotgun to buy. I wouldn't mind trying an O/U but there doesn't seem to many guns in my price range. A semi would be nice but it seems like they're more prone to jamming and seem to be heavier. A pump seems more reliable, rugged etc. but I've already had one and wouldn't mind a change. The gun would be used for dove,duck,goose and some sporting clays.

Some of the guns I've been looking at so far are Stoeger Condor O/U,Benelli Nova, and some winchester semi's. I made the huge mistake of picking up a Ruger Red Label at Gander Mountain tonight and fell in love...maybe next year if I get serious into shooting.

Thanks for Reading,
Nate

·
Registered
950 Posts
For duck and goose benelli nova no if ands butts ****s giggles about it I bought mine BRAND NEW 2 years ago for $299 at tomball pawn. Its reliable easy to break down never had a problem can scuff it up drop it use it as a paddle get it muddy and it still performs. You DO NOT want a super nice wood grain shotgun to hunt ducks it will be ruined in a few hunts. It chambers the 3 1/2 inch shell for longer shots and more knockdown power on geese. Prolly wouldnt want to shoot it a bunch dove hunting and wouldnt want it for sporting clays. Basically what Im saying is you are gonna be hard pressed to find all that in 1 shotgun buy a used or new nova for 300 or less save up and get you a nice over/under or auto for dove and clays brother you wont regret it.....

·
NRA Life/Endowment member, 49yrs.
1,888 Posts
Nate,

If you really want to try an O/U take a look at the "Yildiz" O/U's at Academy...$399 every day price, 12 or 20 gauge.
They are made for Academy in Turkey by the worlds forth largest arms mfg. They have good fit and finish and the bluing is matt finish and very tough. The stocks have a very graceful design and are Turkish walnut of a grade that would put the wood on many a high dollar gun to shame...Every one I've seen has had really nice figure and grain so ask the clerk to look at several if you decide to buy one. Much better looking gun than any in that price range and even others up to the higher priced ones. They even have a vented mid rib like on some of the higher priced guns. Make the Stoger guns look like junk IMHO.
The guns were specked out in consult with Briley Mfg. and Briley right here in Houston is the authorized service center for them. A big plus.
They come with five choke tubes and Briley already has some of their tubes available in 12 gauge with 20 gauge coming.

I bought one in 20 gauge but before I got to shoot it I saw where they got in the side by sides, my first love, so I wound up selling it to a fellow 2Cooler and got a 20 gauge side by side. Fits like a glove and shoots great. Only problem is that with the "splinter" forend the barrels get too hot to handle after a few rounds. Going to get a leather "handguard" that keeps your hand off the barrels. This is not a problem with the O/U as the forend covers both barrels. I will get another 20 gauge O/U when I have the money.

As mentioned in other posts probably not a good choice for duck or goose but an easy way to get into O/U's for upland/migratory bird or skeet/clays shooting...A lot of gun for the money. You can see them and get the specs on line at Academy's web site.

Frank

·
Registered
87 Posts
As far as 26" or 28" bbl, I think you will need to see which one swings better for you. I had shot a 28" all my life, and my wife bought me a Beretta Urika with a 26" bbl lenght and it swings better to me.

As far as "reaching out and touching them" you have really no effective range difference between the two.

Also, I wouldn't rule out a Stoeger M2000 Semi Auto camo version. It is in your price range. And they are built on the same principle as the Benelli SBE... which is a great gun.

JMO

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
I'm primarily a Remington guy. Once toured the Remington factory and in the entry way they had an 870 hanging on the wall with a motor hooked up to the action continually racking the slide. They said it had been up there for about 5 years, racking and racking, and racking. BUT.....

Those Benellis are really nice, and I would surely consider one of those.

THE JAMMER

·
Registered
475 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
If hunting waterfowl, go with a pump, less chances for jams and things of that nature. I hunt with the benelli supernova, but know lots of folks who hunt the origional nova. Never heard 1 complaint about novas other than they kick hard. That can be fixed by purchasing the mercury reciol absorbtion kit from benelli. My supernova has it and i can shoot a case of 3 1/2 in mags and not have a sore sholder. I am 5'7, kinda stumpy, and shoot with a 28 in barrell. No problems. You will want the longer barrell to get steel out there. my .02

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
$400 buys you a new Mossberg 930 3" automatic. Tested in Argentina and I've been shooting one for 2 two years without one single problem. Made in the USA and carrys one of the best warranties in the business. Extra barrels can be had for cheap if you want a turkey or HD barrel. The 930 comes with stock shims for a custom fit just like the $1000 Beretta 391 and Benelli M2.

The Nova or any pump gun will beat the chit out of you. The 3.5" 12 gauge is a marketing ploy. If you shoot behind a bird with a 2/4" you will still be behind with a 3.5".

·
Registered
100 Posts
I will back up what a lot of people have said... Beneli Nova all the way. I have one and it is my go to gun. I have several semi autos but I know this gun will do it all and never jam up. I bought mine when it first came out and I can't remember what I payed but it wasn't much. Now some 6 or 7 years later my gun has been worked over. I will say this, this gun takes some getting used to. When you first shoulder it it feels like you are holding a brick (if you are used to slimmer framed guns, i.e. 870). Also, over the years due to some bad conditions and hard hunts I have chipped and scratched off some of the camo cover but the black matte under has never rusted. The magazine tube under the forearm has rusted but it is still functional. I have used mine as a boat paddle and a walking stick in the marsh, when I get done at the end of the day I spray it down with fresh water, take it apart, run some hoppes through it, a little Rem Oil and good to go. I think they are tough as hell and a great shooting gun for the price!! Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.