2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ahh, u should've bought a Shallow Sport!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know what everyone's opinion is on what grain bullet to use for deer hunting with a .223. I like to use Hornaday, but their 65 gr. is hard to find around where I live. I was thinking of trying Winchester Supreme in a 64 gr. Any suggestions?? I'm taking my son on his youth hunt to Matagorda Island next weekend and am totally confident in my old .223 for the long shots. I'm just gonna up the bullet size. Thanks,Eric

·
Raiser of BOB White Quail
19,039 Posts
I have shot my last 5 deer with a 223. I use the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 55 GR. It works for me. Good hunting to you.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
In .22-250 we have used the 60 grain Partition. I think you can get that in a .223 load, but no doubt there are a lot of good choices.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Depends on the twist of your barrel. In the early days of Vietnam, (I wasnt there) the M16 had a 1:12 twist. Tended to wreak havok on ole Charlie from what Ive been told. They tightened it up to 1:9 and the bullets didnt tumble anymore.

Assuming you are using a bolt action or single like a Contender or Ruger #1, try something heavier than the standard 55gr. at a range, and see how it performs. Those Hornady rounds are good stuff, and you probably wont go wrong with the Winchester stuff as well. You need to have good shot placement to kill deer with those small bullets, so again, try it out at a range that you can shoot at least 200 yards at, and find what works best with your rifle. Hit them in the neck, and theyll drop! Good luck.

·
Ahh, u should've bought a Shallow Sport!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, we went to the range today so the boy could get some shots off and get the "twitchin" out. We shot at the 200 yrd target and he's on. From what I hear, on the island some shots could be out at the 200 yrd range. For what it's worth though, I'm wanting a heavier round in case he takes a longer heart/lung shot instead of a closer neck shot. I know the .223 is capable of alot longer range and some deadly destruction on impact, just giving him a little more help.

·
Snow Goose & Spoony Nightmare
759 Posts
I like the Corbon DPX load. Uses a 53 or 62 gr Barnes bullet. VERY accurate & punches right through deer & hogs.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Dukfavr

Is absoloutely correct. That is the only bullet to deer hunt with a 223 and be sure of bullet performance. Little more expensive but well worth it.

Charlie

·
Watch your top knot.
1,072 Posts
I have been killing pigs and deer with .63gr Wolf hollow points. Got a good deal on it. It has a steel case but it shoots good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts