2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a 19-22 foot center console bay boat. No single hulls.
Looking for a smooth ride and looking for a boat that can get fairly shallow, but will also be able to fish the middle of the bay on a windy day.

Also looking to spend under 30000.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Banned
26,286 Posts
You could get into a new 21' Kenner for under 30K at BPS w/ 150 Merc 4-stroke. Good all around boat. I'd get a jack plate if you're gonna try to get in real skinny water. It has the Carolina flare hull & will take some chop. It is a pretty dry ride too.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have owned many, many boats. Some good, some not.
I purchased a Boatright Custom Flat at the beginning of this summer. Bestboat I have ever owned. Does everything you are asking for and built like a tank. Get it built to suite your individual taste and needs.
Mine is 19' w/18" pontoons. I mostly wade fish but take the grandkids bait fishing in the bays.
I think the URL is BOATRIGHTMARINE.com. Take a look.

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,828 Posts
Desperado

Are you looking for hull less than 30k or total rig?

The Desperado 22 outlaw from Bernies' Boats in Victoria is the best trout boat I know of. It's designed to take rough bay water as well as run extremely shallow. From a design standpoint ....everything in the boat is designed, it's like architecture for bay boats. That includes everything from how the hull performs to weight placement of on board materials to rod lockers, holes for net handles, the seating...everything is designed. really really awesome boats.

http://www.desperadoboats.com/

·
Banned
26,286 Posts
I run an older 18'-6" Kenner w/ 115 Johnson. Driest boat I've ever owned (and I've had a few!) If I had the money (or a job!!) I'd pick up this Ranger.
http://www.southeasttexas.com/class...de=boats_bay&zipcode=&distance=0&type=general
Kenner is a better ride than the Ranger...I would have bought a Kenner, however my angel got a sweet bonus back in '95' & gave me 10k to put down on whatever boat I wanted (mainly because she won't let me have a bike :frown:). I upgraded & bought a Blackjack 224 (what Bill & Gary are building now). This is one of the best bay boats made, but you are going to have to come up with more $. 1950 lb hull weight, w/ 14" draft. Handles big water in the Galveston Bay complex like a champ when I've been out there on non-optimal days. USCG tagged for 10 people, lots of storage (all insulated), rod locker, 2 live wells (additional storage), & fish coffin. Boat will last a lifetime. web site...K2 Marine...

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
unfortunately my 24ft Lake and Bay will not come close to $30K but I will place it against any boat. It handles chop like an Outrage, runs shallower than my old triton, has storage and enough room to fish 5 easily, evrything is well made on this boat and everything is top quality including aerators, recessed trim tabs and jackplate. Add a 250 yammaslammy 4 stroke and it is a dream. You will need an extra $30K though.

·
Registered
198 Posts
look at Pathfinder. I bought a 22 foot Pathfinder Tournament Edition used last year (boat is an 04) and paid under 30k. You name it, the boat came with it (power pole, trolling motor, garmin GPS, etc). BOught the boat with 62 hours on the 200 VMAX hpdi. I would put this boat against any other bay boat. I got stuck in East Bay (Hanna's) in a storm and ran 30 mph back to Eagle point with no problems in 3-4 foot chop and 25 mph wind. Reason i bought a pathfinder was on a trip to Baffin 2 years ago where we ran 50 mph in a 24 foot TE in 3 foot chop. That was all the proof i needed!!

Attachments

·
Saved by the Grace of God
4,121 Posts
You could get into a new 21' Kenner for under 30K at BPS w/ 150 Merc 4-stroke. Good all around boat. I'd get a jack plate if you're gonna try to get in real skinny water. It has the Carolina flare hull & will take some chop. It is a pretty dry ride too.
Totally agree!!!! And if you get it with a tunnel & jack plate, it will run in a foot of water.

·
4,121 Posts

·
4,121 Posts
look at Pathfinder. I bought a 22 foot Pathfinder Tournament Edition used last year (boat is an 04) and paid under 30k. You name it, the boat came with it (power pole, trolling motor, garmin GPS, etc). BOught the boat with 62 hours on the 200 VMAX hpdi. I would put this boat against any other bay boat. I got stuck in East Bay (Hanna's) in a storm and ran 30 mph back to Eagle point with no problems in 3-4 foot chop and 25 mph wind. Reason i bought a pathfinder was on a trip to Baffin 2 years ago where we ran 50 mph in a 24 foot TE in 3 foot chop. That was all the proof i needed!!
Nice boats too!!! Not sure he could get a 22 footer under $30K, but he probably could get the 19 footer for that price.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts