2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 homers tonight. He has really lit up Arroyo. 8-5 in the bottom of the 7th, with Pettite as the pitcher of record.

3 guesses who is stretching in the bullpen......LOL!

·
In the Surf
664 Posts
Not too many players in the league are like Berkman, He can do it all. It's a shame that he has to hit 2 homers in a game to get people(media) to notice him when he's been great all year long.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
He's easily the most underrated player in MLB.

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
Garner's going with the lefty/lefty, righty/righty percentages. Admit it, Garner bashers, it worked tonight didn't it?

·
See ya on the flats!
1,838 Posts
Lidge sure didn't look happy watching Miller finish out the game! Berkman is awesome...great to have him!

Late,
Cox

·
Lower Keys ShallowSport Club Members: 1
2,188 Posts
I was told yesterday that Nieve is performing the closer role at Round Rock. Maybe I'm reading in to that too much, but it seems like the writing is on the wall.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Everyone has good/bad years, Lidge is just in a bad year( seems like the rest of the team is as well). Berkman was great I loved the post game interview with him talking about his groin injury is going to take away his bunt for hit option LOL! I for one wouldnt want to see Lidge traded cause every time he would pitch aginst us he would be showing why we shouldnt have traded him. Still missing Wagner as well. Go ASTROS!!

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Berkman is, without a doubt, the best hitter I've ever faced. I've said that since the first time I pitched to him. If I didn't think he was going to retire in the next few years, I'd say he is a certain future Hall of Famer.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
you know it is funny because lance berkman graduated from new braunfels canyon high school in 1994. that would be the year after i graduated from the same school. my wife found his pics in my year book and man he was a tall FAT guy, lol. my how things change i mean he got shorter or something. lol kidding. it is strange because in the year book it doesnt say anything about him even playing baseball even though i am completely possitive he did. i might try to get a couple of the pics from the year book and post them so everyone can see how much (and how little ) he has changed

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
Wolf6151 said:
In a post game interview Garner said that Lidge is still his go to guy.
Interesting....apparently Miller was his go-to guy last night.

Berkman is the most under-rated player in mlb. He literally has no protection in that lineup and still leads the NL in RBI's, and the 'Stros are last in the league in scoring!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
ShadMan said:
If I didn't think he was going to retire in the next few years, I'd say he is a certain future Hall of Famer.
Why do you think he will retire early?

And why do ya'll think he is underrated? Underrated by whom? He is a regular all star and will be considered in MVP voting for sure. He's not a secret to other clubs.

He is a great player and a good guy as well. Need more like him. He is a sure thing radio/tv guy when he is done, if he wants it.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Berkman isn't fat, but the build of his body makes it look like he is. I'm not sure of his exact height, but I would say he is around 6'2". And yes, he played baseball in High School. There is a statue of him in New Braunsfels. I believe he holds pretty much every batting title at the high school if I remember correctly.

I agree that Berkman is underrated, though. He is one of the top 5 hitters in professional baseball. If I could have any hitter in the league, and anybody but Lidge was pitching, I would want Berkman at the plate with the tying run on base. If Lidge is pitching, you've gotta go with Pujols. LMAO!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
ShadMan said:
Berkman isn't fat, but the build of his body makes it look like he is. I'm not sure of his exact height, but I would say he is around 6'2". And yes, he played baseball in High School. There is a statue of him in New Braunsfels. I believe he holds pretty much every batting title at the high school if I remember correctly.

I agree that Berkman is underrated, though. He is one of the top 5 hitters in professional baseball. If I could have any hitter in the league, and anybody but Lidge was pitching, I would want Berkman at the plate with the tying run on base. If Lidge is pitching, you've gotta go with Pujols. LMAO!
well the "fat" comment was a joke. and he used to be lets just put it like this "on the heavy side" he is atleast 6'2" if not more. if i remember correctly he was a pretty decent guy in school and i hear he is now too although i have not talked to him since about 1993. as for lidge pitching i might take him over pujols also we have not seen him hit off of lidge and who would know lidge better then his team mates? might be to easy lol

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
LOL...I have never seen a hitter "own" a pitcher the way Pujols owns Lidge. :D

Lance is a little shorter than I am, and I'm 6'3". I was pretty good friends with him in college. He was/is a really good guy with a big heart.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,918 Posts
Berkman is the man. He is one of the best hitters in baseball without a doubt. If we make the playoffs, he will be a huge reason and will have carried us on his back offensively, so MVP would not be out of the question.

Lidge is a differant story. There is no reason to trade or get rid of him, but he really needs some time away from the closers role. His head is just too screwed up. A kick in the arse would not hurt here. Last night he had 0-2 counts three times, and gave up a single, hit a batter and tossed a wild pitch respectively. He is 2nd in baseball in wild pitches. He still has a ton of talent, so I really do not want the Astros to give up on him for the long-term, but for the short term, Qualls and Wheeler should be able to step up in the closers role. Lidge just might respond favorably if he is moved to a role without closers pressure.

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
"closer" role really depends on the personnel. I thought that it worked very well last night. Lidge got an important out and then they went with the percentages, lefty/lefty, righty/righty and the game was over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts