2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member of da MYC!!
448 Posts
I have an M2 field in the 12 gauge with wood stock.....it is a real nice gun....... no complaints.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Benelli makes one heck of a gun. I've got a SBEII for duck hunting and have been itching to buy the M2 20ga for doves and quail. I've picked one up in the store only about 4000 times and have yet to pull the trigger (literally and figuratively). I'd say great choice and buy it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
m2 20 ga

I have one i really like it but!!!!!!.....it has a hard time ejecting 7/8 oz shot.....maybe (1-10 maybe less) will not get thrown out of the gun causing a "jam"....it is made for 1 oz shot....has to do with the spring inside the gun....Most of your Dove loads are 7/8 oz shot so it does get old looking for 7 1/2 1 oz shot shells and they are never on sell.....

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one i really like it but!!!!!!.....it has a hard time ejecting 7/8 oz shot.....maybe (1-10 maybe less) will not get thrown out of the gun causing a "jam"....it is made for 1 oz shot....has to do with the spring inside the gun....Most of your Dove loads are 7/8 oz shot so it does get old looking for 7 1/2 1 oz shot shells and they are never on sell.....
One of every 10 shots jams? They love to dove hunt and 7/8 is what they usually use. Thanks I might have to rethink this...

·
Master of Boats
1,434 Posts
I have a couple of the 20 gauge Benellis ( and a couple 12 gauge SBE Ones ), can't say I have ever had a misfeed or jam. The black gun has been on several high volume dove hunts (Argentina) , with dirty shells ( Mexico ) and wet ( SW LA ), no issues. I bought a wood stocked one at the gun show, since it was a good deal and you hardly ever see one for sale.

If you ARE having problems with a Benelli, it is usually the spring in the stock, or more accurately, the piston in there, gets dirty or rusty. Sure-shot makes a stainless version, only one of my four had to have it, and that was because someone who worked on it, messed up the tube with pliers, trying to remove it.

Can't say too much about these guns bad, they are higher priced that most of the other 20 autos, for a reason. FWIW, I have some 1100's, 11/87's that weren't up to the high volume dove hunts, they reside in the far recesses of the safe, suitable as loaners for kids only. I used to have to bring a kit of parts to Mexico for them, firing pins and O-rings were the usual culprits, along with lots of Powder Blast and a cleaning kit. Cleaning the 1100/11/87 every day , twice, morning and evening, was a must to keep them running with the dirty shells.

If you are spending that much for the boys, how about an over/under for them?

MM

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Best gun on the market for the boys, but check the specs. I want one but more for ducks, pheasants. My SBE specs say <1.1/8 loads may not cycle well and mine doesn't.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My wife liked my m2 so much she wanted a M2 20g. we have had it a little over 2 years and usually shoot the cheap shells from Academy. We shoot at American shooting centers or Carters Country. we have had no problems with the shot gun and i would not hesitate to recomend the gun to anyone.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
I love the gun, I borrowed one for a hunt and now have it high on my list so I can retire my old 20 auto.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
My SBEII will cycle 3/4 and 7/8 loads and its 12g. Some are picky, but 99% of the time they work. It says in the manual that minimum 1 1/8 ounce shells are needed to cycle the bolt. I shoot lots of 1 ounce shells with no problem. I keep it clean and run good lubricant. My buddy has one and the only time it stops is when its really dirty or there are pieces of brush in the action.

Someone said they have a hard time finding 7 1/2 1 ounce shells. I buy them at Walmart every season. They call them "Winchester Super Speed" and they sell for about $55/case. I stock up usually when they have them. I have it in 8, 7 1/2 and 6 shot. They are not reloadable to my knowledge but they work great and they burn pretty clean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts