2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a blurb on ESPN saying big Ben is in emergency surgery for head & facial injuries after being involved in a motorcycle wreck. Said he collided with a car and impacted the windshield with no helmet on.

Jeff

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Those who think they dont need a helmet, are probably right.

I heard he going to be ok though.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Brew said:
Just saw a blurb on ESPN saying big Ben is in emergency surgery for head & facial injuries after being involved in a motorcycle wreck. Said he collided with a car and impacted the windshield with no helmet on.

Jeff
That's not good. Hope he's all right. I saw an interview with him early last football season about him riding motorcycles. Bill Cowher already has had several discussions with him, trying to get him to quit riding and at least wear a helmet, after a few other Football/sports stars had been in accidents.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Say It Ain't So, Ben? If anyone thinks the Steelers will be hurt by this, you are mistaken. Dave Ragone could run their offense just as well.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Do you think the Steelers will penalize him in any way? They're not paying him millions of dollars to sit on the bench and recuperate from off season preventable injuries. Glad he's not hurt.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
They're gonna have to read the fine print. I'd think there would be a clause in his contract.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
???

He also broke his jaw and nose, lost some teeth, has a large cut on his head, and has injuries to his knees. Not very smart if you ask me. Seems like a very personable young man and is(was ?) obviously a very good QB. Sure hate to see something like this end his career. From a personal standpoint, I be disam if I would be doing something like that to ruin my career. Just my @ cents.

·
Senior Mumbler
11,515 Posts
I like Ben as much as any other good athlete but I'd have to give him the Darwin sports award. The guy is driving in downtown Pittsburgh with no helmet on...

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
You could see where his shoulder and head hit the windshield in two different places. I liked the guy before he went into the NFL, and followed him closely at Pittsburg, but man what a stupid thing to do. I heard it is in his contract, in most star players contracts at that. What was his contract 7 years $40 mill, he got over $9 mill in bonuses last year!! I could wait until I'm done with football before buying a motorcycle for 8 figures a year, and possibly 9 over a career. What a waste. But he will still be financially ok, just think if this happened to one of us....

·
Ken
541 Posts
I sure hope he recovers, and I also hope that if he insists on riding a bike, he'll learn to use protective riding gear.

I'm a first responder, and virtually every helmetless motorcycle accident scene I've been on has resulted in serious to fatal head injuries.

Even then, there are lots of other injuries that often happen when bikers and cars collide. Internal organs, fractured spines, femurs, and other bones, and on the last one I worked, the poor guy's entire foot was hanging by a few strands of flesh.

I used to ride, so I won't say much about those who still do, except for: please be careful, and may God bless you.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My brother-in-law was involved in a wreck almost exactly like this but I'm guessing a little faster (around 40mph). He had the same bike and again an oncoming car turned left in front of him. He however had his helmet on. He had 3 degree burns on his back from the muffler, a major concussion, now has a titanium jaw from ear to ear, new teeth and has completely lost his left bicep due to some nerve damage around his neck. Everyone we've spoken to has said how lucky he was to have no more injuries than he does...Ben must have been really going slow to not be in serious trouble.

I have a cruiser and even though it's not the cool thing to do and I really like riding without a helmet I've never taken off without a helmet on...just a stupid thing to do.

My bro raced his bike on the track and had VERY good control of his bike at all times and he was a very cautious rider around traffic...the cause is almost never the fault of the motorcycle driver, it's the other people on the road. On a motorcycle you're putting potentially your life in someone elses hands no matter how save you are; that's a risk that you just take. No way I'd risk a little pleasure for a $40M contract!

TFM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts