2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visiting my little brother at Ft. Hood, letting the power situation get worked out at home. Spent about 6 hours running all over the east end. Found some small cats, smallmouths and one little sandie. Any suggestions on where to look for some hybrids?

·
5th Generation Texan & Proud Of It.
403 Posts
I have not fished Belton in a while, but I believe that this time of year it is the best cross from Temple Lake Park. Try slabbin' or trollin' with a hell-pet rig. Good Luck and Thank You for your service for our country.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Slabbin = one or two ounce spoon, drop it to the bottom then work it up and down using the rod (not reeling). Some variations include tying a crappie jig about 18 inches about the spoon. On Belton we use simple chrome or white.

Temple Lake Park usually will always have some schools of bait fish, but you will need to stay on your electronics to find them. You will want to try anywhere from the boat ramp located on the north side all the way around south going back towards the ****. If you go around the main point, look all the way out to 60 feet. Once you find the bait fish, hit them with the spoons and then be prepared to move. You will also probably find some hybrids mixed in, that's when the real fun begins.

Here is a video of a centex fishermen "slabbin" near Belton on Stillhouse, he is fishing for black bass, but it's the same technique for whites and hybrids:

Good luck, and thanks for serving.

·
Member when we usta.......?
2,835 Posts
This is about the slowest time of year for hybrids on Belton but the hardcores are still catching some. They've been scattered off the main lake river channel ledge in 40-50 feet but seem to be trying to start moving back upriver for the winter. I haven't heard of any lately being caught on artificials. Small live shad has been the ticket and we've been struggling to catch bait during the daytime.

Check out the 'Belton Bunch' thread on this forum. Lot's of day to day chit chat to wade through but there are several on there who can flat out catch hybrids. Several soldiers on there too. Tell um MrG sent you.

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Didn't find any hybrids, found bunches of bait and fish suspended on some points and humps, drifted over jigging spoons. I didnt know slabbin was the same as jigging a spoon. Thanks guys. I don't have a trollingmotor so it was dificult to stay on the fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts