2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Dolphin, could not sign in under my user id â€" will solve that problem when Monty is not quite so busy. I think that us both having the same e-mail address may have something to do with it.

First, let me say a BIG thank you to Monty for restoring my sanity! Don’t post much at all, but depend on you all to keep me informed with <1st fishing reports, 2nd current events>.

Came home tonight and discovered that we had been chosen to be the new home to a swarm of bees. We are assuming that they are harmless honey bees, however at this point do not know for sure. Originally thought that it was a small field mouse in between the floors, however upon further investigation, discovered a large swarm out side our dinning room window. Soon to follow, bees began to enter â€" entrance unknown, however believe it to be the A/C duct. Have put netting (from Hunting equipment) over the two duct’s where we believe they are coming in. Mean while, 1 yo, 15# kitten is having a blast chasing down rouge bees. Husband (Still Smiling, aka Ruben) has contacted a “Bee Keeper” and was informed that the soonest they can be here to remove nest is June 17th! Has ANYONE gone through this experience? Any suggestions?

We are not so much worried about the bee’s as they seem more concerned about getting out of the house/back to the hive than targeting us/kitty. Just not really thrilled with the idea of living with this for a month. Also, Bee keepers fee is $300 + $25 (because we live in Spring) for the first three hours and $25/hour there after. Not so much worried about the $, however was looking forward to fishing tomorrow and it now looks like we may need to save the money.

Thanks for any feedback.

Dolphin

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
I have had a beehive take over a birdhouse and a wooden barrel before. I called the fire dept. and they came out and foamed them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought about that â€" did not think they would come if they did not know if they were Africanized. Also, they are between the first and second stories. Foaming might do major damage to the sheetrock, carpet, etc.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
We had the same prob. I just mixed some dish soap and water in a garden sprayer and juiced them down good! It really knocked 'em down and then I filled the crack with expansion foam and had no other problems.
Good luck,
Rick

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can't help with your problem but you are not alone. I have a big swarm on a portacan vent on my jobsite right now. They were calm all day, until about 5:00 when I drove by them in my golf car and they were keeping me from the office and my truck for a while. I guess the queens are on the move right now. If you can find the one with lipstick, remove her and the rest should follow. Good luck, Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is exactly what we were thinking â€" already knew about the dish soap, however worried that we would not get the Queen. Will the Queen die, if she does not have her workers? What about drilling a hole in the siding and fogging them from the hole using PVC or other delivery devises?

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,077 Posts
Who did you call?

When I worked at the airport we had swarms quite often and never waited more then a few hours. Can't remember who we used. I used to help him out and it was very COOL!:cool:

I had a buddy that kept bees but he passed away recently. I used to get pheramone(sp?) vials from him to ATTRACT bees to my veg. garden.

Might try these:

Lone Star Pest Control.... 281-890-1229. Mention code HON 04 for a 10% discount.

Abears Bee Control.... 281-893-3009

Bee Sweep....281-447-4122
I believe all these folks are bee keepers and will try to remove rather then kill them. If keeping them alive isn't a concern I'm sure most exterminators will help you out cheaper then the $325+ you quoted.

Hope that helps ya out some.:D

Later,

Jeff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bee Sweep said June 17th, left messages with the other two (Lone Star Pest Control and Abear) have not returned our calls. Have been in contact with a good fishing buddy, who is also an exterminator and does not look good â€" he offered to come out and “patch” the problem. Not looking for a patch â€" just looking for a solution shorter than one month!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Call Howard Hewett. He lives in Angleton, has taken care of two different hives of bees for me. Howard does this as a sideline but he knows what he is doing with bees. He will also remove the cone and honey. If the hive is left in the walls it can cause problems later. Give him a call; if he will make the trip he will do you a good job for a reasonable price. 979 849-7824 home, 979 799-7339 Cell

He is usually swamped this time of year!

Dot Man

·
Banned
355 Posts
Bees

Call the County Extension Agent, Harris County is 281-855-5600. They can give you a list of bee keepers. Depending on access, some of them will not charge anything or have minimal charges.

I always recommend calling the CEA and my customers have had great results. Terminix has been out of the bee business in Texas since the arrival of the Africanized Bees.

Gary
Terminix Inspector

1 - 10 of 10 Posts