2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I note that several threads discuss bearing performance. This post is not to disagree with anyone but just to give my experience, for what its worth.

I was one of the early proponents of ABEC 7 and Rocket Fuel. The bearings would perform extremely well after an upgrade. I found that the rocket fuel had to be replenished during a long day of casting or the bearings would start chattering. Also, the reel became so fast that I found myself slowing it down with the brakes so that I could make casts both upwind and downwind reacting to movement or sounds on the water without backlashing. After much experimenting and thousands of casts, I came to the conclusion that bearings in the ABEC 5 or so quality and the oil that comes in the box from Shimano gave the best long term performance. Some brakes were needed but long casts could be made downwind and shorter but non-backlash casts could also be made upwind. It should be mentioned that the rod being used has a big impact on your casting effeciency for the same lure weight, as does the loading procedure you use(overhand/sidearm etc). Normal downwind casts regularly unspool half the volume of line on the spool. Beyond that you tend to lose touch with your lure(using mono), expecially on topwaters.

In summary, I have quit using RF. I use either ABEC 5/7 depending on costs. I beg Shimano for some oil every year and so far they have been very cooperative. I can't even imagine a reel that could possibly perform better than the Shimano baitcasters.

·
Dont call me a member !!
18 Posts
Shimano Baitcasters

Just curious to know what your favorite Shimano baitcaster is for wade fishin specs & reds

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering peformance and cost, I think the older Chronarch 100 SF is the best for the money. And I have currently Calais(1), Chronarchs(1), Green Curado 200s(3), Chronarch 100 SF's(4), Chronarch 50 MG's(2), and have had briefly the newer Curado 100 SFs(1) and had and sold my Scorpion 1500's(2). At one time I had about 15 green Curados. They are great reels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I had decided on ABEC5/Shimano oil from a cost perspective and was wondering if I was short changing myself. It's good to know someone "in the know" can confirm my unscientific thinking.:)

·
Banned
724 Posts
Super Dave, great post, and thanks for sharing your findings. I have found the stocks bearing to be fine. Of course I clean my reels very often, and I use Remington "Rem oil" for lubricant.....this works great for me.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
For the money, the new Curado is tough to beat, but I got my first Chronarch Mg a couple of months ago and it is addictive.

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BeachCityBoy said:
Super Dave, great post, and thanks for sharing your findings. I have found the stocks bearing to be fine. Of course I clean my reels very often, and I use Remington "Rem oil" for lubricant.....this works great for me.
I used Rem Oil for some time until I discovered it seemed to emulsify rather easily. It has an extremely low viscosity(3cp) vs 59cp for yellow rocket fuel so it does a great job of making those bearings hum when used with clean bearings and not contaminated. Beware, however, of letting water get to it cause it will mix easily with the oil and corrode. That was my experience so I quit using it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
the green curados brought me into baitcasters back in my teens. The new Chronarch SFs are really awesome reels spooled with 8 or 10 test line. I also liked the chronarch 100 SF (gold reel).

You guiys that have fished the Calais...how does it compare with the reels I have mentioned???

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I have 2 Calais, and they are awesome works of art, but don't really perform much different that the Chronarch.

In my bearing oil test, using clean bearings, and all the scientific resources in my garage, I did not find any real difference in Quantum Hot Sauce, Rocket Fuel, Rem Oil vs the Shimano oil supplied with your reel.
Bearings spin best on my calibrated pencil with no oil at all, but that won't do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts