2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice,

I got a bunch of people coming down from KC this weekend and we want to spend the day on the beach,just lounging and trying for some big reds.
Question is,how far down will we have to go? I'm figuring Matagorda.If so,where exactly would I go that we could set up on the beach in Matty,and also is cut bait available there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as these folks have been planningsince way before IKE.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try Bryan Beach and/or Mouth of the Brazos

Word is Bryan Beach is accessible and with the rain hopefully the sand will hold a two-wheel onto and down the beach.

Anybody got any word on the San Luis Pass area, along the channel on the Galveston isde?

·
GOD BLESS AMERICA
1,441 Posts
jimpopular said:
Need some advice,

I got a bunch of people coming down from KC this weekend and we want to spend the day on the beach,just lounging and trying for some big reds.
Question is,how far down will we have to go? I'm figuring Matagorda.If so,where exactly would I go that we could set up on the beach in Matty,and also is cut bait available there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as these folks have been planningsince way before IKE.
For bait , Buddys or Rawlings are easy and normally have pretty fresh frozen mullet , for bull reds I like live piggies which are easy to catch with small hooks and little pieces of shrimp around rocks and pilings , I would suggest fishing for your bulls closer to the jetties , i've caught lots in the past around this time of year around the jetties , good luck .

·
Lazy Member
108 Posts
If you are going to Bryan beach you should be careful of the deep sand at the entrance. If you go to the right at the stop sign just after the bridge over the ICW you can get on the beach this way, but I didn't try it last weekend. Your best bet is to send someone this way to see if it is OK for 2wd before trying the deep sand at the entrance. All this is assuming that the deep sand is still there and you do not have 4wd. There were regular folks in the family van on the beach last weekend so there is a way to do it but it may take a little exploring.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wHATS THE BEST WAY TO GET TO bRYAN BEACH FROM THE CLEARLAKE AREA?

jUST LOOKING FOR THE CLOSEST PLACE TO GET IN THE SURF FOR SOME BIG REDS THIS WEEKEND.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
don't forget beach passes and SW fishing lic. for all..............and OFF and sunblock and a rake

·
Lazy Member
108 Posts
If I were in Clear Lake I would go down 146 to FM 2004, then take 2004 to Highway 523. Take a left on 523 and stay on it through Oyster Creek. You will come to a major intersection with a Bucee's, that is FM332. If you want to go to Surfside turn left here, otherwise go straight on through the Dow facility. You will come to a fork, going straight goes over railroad tracks (when not blocked by tanker cars), I prefer to bear left here. Continue straight at stop sign to bridge over Old Brazos River, continue through Freeport, over the ICW bridge and you are at the stop sign at the entrance to Bryan beach where the deep sand was last weekend.

·
Lazy Member
108 Posts
CoastalOutfitters said:
don't forget beach passes and SW fishing lic. for all..............and OFF and sunblock and a rake
You don't need a beach pass for Bryan Beach. Looks like high tides will be about 2 PM and 2AM, choose a spot high enough that you don't have to move camp in the middle of the night. I should add, the bait shops are to the left down 332 (towards Surfside) from the intersection with the Bucee's . I like Saltgrass baithouse, the boat-shaped place on the left after you go over the levee.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Good directions, jeeper

jeeper2 nailed the directions from Clear Lake (used to live there; graduated from CL High & UHCLC). Also, the shrimp boat-shaped bait IS 'the best little baithouse in Texas' as they like to say. GLAD it is still there.

Surfside Jetty would be worth walking if Bryan is inaccessible. It's a 50/50% for me this Friday, but I think I'm hitting Bryan Beach because I like being in the water and my DAWG, Joey LOVES running around the beach with me.

You'all rip some lips!

LR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts