2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one time, BB&T was THE place to get all your offshore supplies and was the place to see and be seen in Freeport....are they still the predominant store these days? I almost never see anyone posting about BB&T unless it is a negative....rude employees (not to mention the old man!), no stock, bad ramps, the stench of the fish dumpster!, etc, etc. When Jimmy was younger, he ran a good operation but I believe he is getting pretty grumpy these days...and his son is even worse sometime from what I hear. I have not fished out of Freeport in some time now and was just wondering what has happened to BB&T.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I agree that BBT was the place to go at one time. They used to have kids there that would load your ice and had great service. Maybe many years of the tackle store bus has been hard on Jimmy. The store was in its prime when Jimmys dad ran it.

Having said that were is the best place to buy your bait and ice in Freeport. I have not been to freeport in two years and I am going this year. Buckeys, BBT, Bridgebait, someplace besides those three?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
hopefully with the new marina going in and the increase in traffic some one will purchase beach bait and tackle and restore it to what is once was and make it the place to stop. however at this time the best stop is buc-ee's....rick

·
Registered
552 Posts
Bucees ia usually good, but if your not early you may not get bait. I been there a couple of times when we could not get our bait of choice Spanish Sardines.All we got was left over junk no one else wanted pogies, little boxes squid, small mullet etc.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
most of the time when buc-ee's is busy the bait freezer in the store will be empty. they do have a freezer in the store that they keep there main stock of bait. ask the clerk to go get you what you need.....rick

·
Team Tailgunner
95 Posts
I'll second that. Can't beat those 20# bags of ice for $0.99

manintheboat said:
Bucees is the best place to buy bait and ice in Freeport without a doubt.

·
3,806 Posts
Beach Bait's Future

One of the plants ( I think it's Dow Chem. ) made him an offer not long ago to buy the land " which he has not taken yet ". They have already picked up the rest of the land on that side of the road. I don't think Beach Bait will be there much longer.

BE SMART !

BE SAFE !!

LET'S GO FISHING !!!

MB

·
Registered
810 Posts
Daddy Dow wants all the land down that way.

·
Registered
884 Posts
are you talking about bridge bait or beach bait. 2 diff places.

·
Registered
134 Posts
freeport

I have lived in the lake jackson / freeport since high school.(1980's) I agree with you. Beach Bait and Tackle was the place to visit. They had some awesome tournaments from that place, and was always packed with business. At one time it looked like they got to big and started carrying more than just fishing supplies. They started getting into hunting and outdoors clothing and apparrel. Maybe that was what made them go out of business. who knows. I know that buccees is sure proud of their bait prices. They charge $9.99 per ribbon fish, and $16.00 per box of 5#cigar minnows. I am buying a case (15/16) 36" ribbon fish for $22.00 case out of houston. I wish I found a place to buy cigar minnows for a decent price.

But on the other hand, you cant beat the .99 cent big bag of ice......cant have everything...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Last week there was a "for lease of sale" sign out in front of BEACH Bait and Tackle, BRIDGE bait and tackle is where all the yahoo's hang out on the weekend and block the boat ramp. It made me decide to put my boat at Intercoastal, Thanks BBT, best move I've made yet. As far as bait, I couldn't find 5# boxes of squid, nowhere.

Victor

·
Super Moderator
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you saying they are completely closed down now? Wow, that is quite a turnaround! I used to run a tournament out of them a number of years back (Monster Fishermans Tournament) when they were having their big kingfish tournament benefitting the game wardens/ LEO's, etc. I believe the annual Whaler Owners Tournament was there also. Jimmy had a somewhat abrasive personality (being kind this morning!) and Curt could be a pain but usually pretty nice and accomodating. They did have lots of tackle, etc plus that big hunting department. Guess they just let Buckee's do a better job! Thanks for the info guys. Tight lines!

·
Banned
797 Posts
When I was growing up in Angleton, BBT was the only place that I would buy tackle, bait, even wranglers and ropers. When I graduated HS in '91, I went off to college and never really came back. Last year I went there for bait, etc., and didn't even recognize the place. The son was always kinda a jerk, living off of daddy's name/reputation, but still the best prices on pretty much everything. Now, I go to buckee's to get everything. Other than the price of bait, cigar minnows, ect., I don't have a real problem. However, the frozen shirmp ALWAYS seems to have been left out on a boat ramp or something before it was frozen. I have never gotten good frozen shrimp from there? Is there a better place for the frozen shimp?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Chuck said:
Are you saying they are completely closed down now? Wow, that is quite a turnaround!
Not closed down, yet. I actually went inside and got some squid. The older lady is still there. I agree with all of you, when I was a kid BBT was THE only place down there. But then, there was a boat ramp at Bridge Harbor that we used back then also.

Victor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts