2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Harte Research Institute (Texas A&M) for Gulf of Mexico Studies in Corpus Christi is taking a survey about the public access to the beach. Perhaps you may be interested in taking the below survey.

Subject: Public Access Survey

Access to Texas Beaches, Bays and the Ocean – Is it Enough?
When you take your family to a Texas beach, can you find it? When you launch your boat to fish in a Texas bay, can you find a place to park your trailer? Are there enough parks bordering our coastal waters? These are just a few of the questions Texans can answer and help the Texas Coordinating Council direct federal funds to where they are needed the most. Once every five years these issues and many others that affect users of Texas’ coastal resources are reviewed as part of a strategic planning process to help set priorities for funding that comes to coastal states through the Coastal Zone Management Act (CZMA). Scientists at the Harte Research Institute have been tasked with guiding this planning process and are seeking public input on several topics of importance to coastal users. One important topic is public access. You are urged to go to the website indicated below, pick the area of the coast you frequent, and let HRI know what you think about this issue. It is a short survey and should not take too long but it is important. This will be the first, but not the last opportunity for citizens to weigh in on this issue.
Go to the following websites:

Upper Coast: Sabine Lake to Matagorda Bay
MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "webmail.tamucc.edu" claiming to be https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NPSFGBL
Mid-Coast: San Antonio Bay to Corpus Christi Bay and Padre Island National Seashore
MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "webmail.tamucc.edu" claiming to be https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NPFVHTW
Lower Coast: Lower Laguna Madre south of Port Mansfield to Port Isabelle
MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "webmail.tamucc.edu" claiming to be https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NPBNDML
Thank You,
Harte Researcch Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies

This may be a very good chance to let the State know exactly how our access to the beaches is being impeded up and down the coast.

Tom Brown

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not worry about the email scanner warning. Somebody has a sensitive spam protector. The survey is by A&M in Corpus. The original email was forwarded by a member of the Coastal Coordination Council.

Tom

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope that those of you who have viewed this post have taken the time to participate in the survey. There are many, many folks out there who would love to be able to privatize the state's beaches. Some of those people have positioned themselves well within the state government to effect that end regardless of what you think the law and new constitutional amendment say.

GY

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Done

I have been going to the POC area since 1945 & it keeps getting more crowded, disorganized & chaotic every year. Very poor ramps, no parking & too many people...

I have stopped going to POC due to boat ramp availability, now I launch in other areas which makes me have a much longer run to where I want to fish, but it has been a better alternative..

Sold my place at Lamar (Goose Island) as the TPWD ramp was always overrun...

Just my 1c worth as my opinion ain't worth 2c anymore

Supergas

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a little background. The federal government requires the State to provide evidence that the fed $s are being spent for the good of all. One way of showing that the money is well spent is to provide surveys, polls and head counts of actual beach usage.

Texas has been receiving more and more federal money, but has NEVER completed the surveys, etc., to show that the folks are getting their money's worth.

There used to be a requirement for local governments to submit the same type of data when requesting to closed sections of beach to vehicles. This, also, has never been enforced.

This is an important first step for the GLO in getting their act together and could be very helpful in ensuring a more proactive stance by the GLO in protecting public access.

Thanks to all of you who have completed the survey.

GY

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Jeff. Hope you and Katie have a very merry Christmas.

Tom

·
Professional Salesman
9,757 Posts
Just filled it out and let them know what I think about Galveston's violations of the TOBA.
I completed it with comments. My main concern is no piers and I never know if a beach is public or not. That is an issue since they all should be. Anything that insinuates that the beach is private, like telephone pole in the sand, should be removed, or not replaced if Ike did it anyway.

·
Carl Clark's Army
324 Posts
Survey Done

I Added Comments about $6 Million Dollars worth of Sand, for Adding to the Beach,After Ike,, Down the Westend of Galveston Isle, to NOT Be Put on a Beach that the Public Can NOT Drive on,,,,:hairout:

What about Lawsuit??

We Need a "Federal Injunction",,,

Where's A Sempathetic Federal Judge ,,, When we Need one,,,

Pat

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.