2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the unthinkable happen opening morning of Bow season.

Because of other things going on in my life. I had not had time to set up feeders and stands in August like normal. So I went up opening morning to set all my stands and feeders in hopes that I might get one or two bow hunts in before rifle season.

After I got My tripod stand set up I climbed up to look for the best place to put my feeder. On the way down the ladder I jumped off from about three feet off the ground. When I hit the ground I heard a snap and fell to the ground. But I hadn't realized just yet what happened until I tried to stand up. Then the pain hit and I realized that my foot had landed in a hole and I had broke both the tibia and fibia bones in my right leg.

Luckily some of the guys I hunt with where with in ear shot working on their stands. So after screaming so they could find me. They went to get help. Two hours later after getting a ambulance a 4 wheel drive and a chainsaw so they could get to me I was on my way to the hospital.

I now have a titanium rod in my leg. The surgeon told me the break was so bad that just ten years ago I would have probably lost my leg. Anyway,It looks like I'm down for the count for the rest of deer season.

Y'all be careful.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Man, now that SUKS :(. hate to hear things like that. I always worry about something like that when I'm on the ranch by myself. Hope all heals well and your back in that tripod soon.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Dude, Sorry to hear about that. Hope you heal up soon. That is why I try not to hunt alone too often, because you never know when something like that can happen. Glad your buddies were there to help.
Bret

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
That just really sux, gonna need to get that physical therapy in high gear for next year. Their are some good points you made though, you had friends that heard you and you didnt die from a blood clot or bleeding to death. Good luck with your recovery and may your next deer hunt be special. I broke my tibia at the knee dove hunting in '95 by stepping in a hole going down a hill.....I feel for ya bro.

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
That hurts

to hear about. But you're right about being careful, I had a guy that worked for me who was a major hunter, always took off the whole month of November, fell from a 25+ stand he was fixing pre season, way back in the woods. He is still enduring surgeries 5 years later. It's that one second of inattention that always gets us... Everybody be careful...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Simple Mistakes

Say,
Many many years ago my sixth grade teacher told us kids,all the time.
SIMPLE MISTAKES CAN KILL YOU. At the time everyone thought he was nuts,but the older I have gotten, I know how true he was.
This little simple mistake didn't kill you,but it sounds like it kill your deer hunting this year.
Sorry to hear the bad news,I hunt alot by my self in the National,mostly on weekdays.I keep telling the wife that I'll be ok that I'm real careful,but there's alway's that one simple mistake out there.
Hope you get better real soon.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the well wishes guys. I see the doc in a couple of days. I hope to find out what I am really looking at as far as recovery goes. It will be the first time I have seen him since I came off of the morphine. So I might be able to put together a sentence or two this time. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
good luck

good luck with your rehab do everything they say its going to be a pain in the butt but in the long run it will be worth it

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
You should not be out that long. I bet you will get to hunt the end of Nov and in Dec. Make sure you take it easy on your broken leg and allow it to heal. If it was a clean break it makes it even better(under the circumstances).

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you can't get to you place I have a stand that we use for handicap people so I can wheel you in in a wheel chair. I hate to see someone alltogether miss deer season. I will eat the cost if you just can't hunt at your place you can come up here and I will help out.

·
15,098 Posts
Dbar
You sound too good to be true.
Its wonderfull to here that such generous people still exist in this get rich quick place we live.
If your as honest and good as you are being percieved , then God bless you.
thank you
R.R..........

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, dbar6488 that's very generous.

But, I was told that the guys where I hunt built me a ground blind close to a lease road next to one of my spots. So if I recoup enough that I can drive I should be able to set in the stand.

So thanks for the offer. And it's great to know there's good people like you out there. But I'm gonna pass.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Dang, hate to hear that. Good thing there were folks around to help you. I always think of things like that when I"m out solo. Guess this year you can concentrate on making the family happy instead of being grumpy(like I"d be) since you can't go hunt. Let one of your buds roll ya out on a 4 wheeler and put you in a ground blind in Dec. maybe that will work out for ya.
Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update........

This just in, I may be able to hunt after all. WooHoo.

I took my first step without crutches today. Not bad huh? 24 days from broken leg to first step.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Great come back.

Don't be over eager tho'. I'd go ahead and let my buddies do the heavy lifting for a while. No sense in doing too much, too soon. The season's 2 months long.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.