2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost done building my pit. Pit and fire box together are about 7 ft. long. Pipe is 24 inch by 1/2 inch thick. I want to apply a good high heat paint to it. I do not have a spray rig so it may have to be brush on. Anyone have any good luck with their pit paint ? Thanks.:work:

·
2Cool Beer Drinkers Association Member.
1,064 Posts
Rustoleum makes a good high heat paint. great especially for the firebox in preventing rust.

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
I just repainted one of my pits.Ace hardware sells a BBQ paint in ta can and it works just fine.I've cooked with my pit about 10 times since and it's holding up great.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just curious, I am in the middle of a pit build and was wondering if people paint the inside of the pit as well to keep it from rusting. I just sanded off all the old rust from years of use. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I WOULD NOT PAINT THE INSIDE OF THE PIT ONLY BECAUSE OF THE CHEMICALS THAT ARE IN PAINT. YES IT WILL BURN OFF BUT I WOULD NOT TAKE A CHANCE. ONCE U CURE THE INSIDE OF THE PIT IT WILL NOT RUST. I WOULD BUILD A SMALL FIRE IN THE PIT AND FIREBOX AND LET IT GO OUT AND WHEN THE PIT TEMP REACHES ABOUT100 TO 150 DEGREES START TO PAINT THE WHOLE PIT THE WARM METAL WILL TAKE THE PAINT BETTER AND A BETTER CHANCE OF THE PAINT STICKING.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts