2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
How do you guys and gals smoke them? Do you wrap it,not wrap it and how long do you smoke them (average)?
I go by the thought of cold meat on a cold pit it helps give a better smoke ring. Smoke 190 to 200 for 4 to 5 hrous. I wrap them atcually I use the big aluminum pans, makes it easier to move them around.I'll crank up the heat and cook untill I hit 180 internal temp......

·
Registered
293 Posts
I go by the thought of cold meat on a cold pit it helps give a better smoke ring. Smoke 190 to 200 for 4 to 5 hrous. I wrap them atcually I use the big aluminum pans, makes it easier to move them around.I'll crank up the heat and cook untill I hit 180 internal temp......
x2

·
Registered
400 Posts
Cold meat on a cold pit...? and you use a pan from the start? you don't wrap it?
I trim and season let sit in the fridge for several hours usually overnight. A cold pit meaning, start your fire and leave doors open don't warm the pit up... Take the meat from the fridge and put on the pit close the doors and bring to 190 to 200. No pan on the first several hours. A good smoke ring is the result from a chemical reaction of salt in the rub and the smoke. When the meat hits an internal temp of around 130 it won't take on any more smoke. After 4 or 5 hours I then put in a pan and cover with foil. You can just foil if you don't have a pan. The pan makes it easier to move and you don't have any leaks to loose juice. I' then crank the heat to 275 and let go untill meat hits an internal temp of 180. If you don't have a meat thermometer check with a fork it should slid in like going in to butter. Believe it or not the blunt end will fin before the flat. Have fun!!!!!
The above is just my 2 cents worth, Other pit masters have different ways with great results..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
What I do is real similar to what is mentioned above. I will trim them and rub down with a dry rub. Seal them up in a plastic bag and let them sit in the frig. or cooler on ice for two days. Smoke at low heat around 200 for 4 hours. Double wrap in foil and finish cooking. I usually cook for another 6 to 8 hours at 300 to 350. I have a trailer pit and usually do 10 to 20 at a time. I am firing up for a christmas party next friday.

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I trim and season let sit in the fridge for several hours usually overnight. A cold pit meaning, start your fire and leave doors open don't warm the pit up... Take the meat from the fridge and put on the pit close the doors and bring to 190 to 200. No pan on the first several hours. A good smoke ring is the result from a chemical reaction of salt in the rub and the smoke. When the meat hits an internal temp of around 130 it won't take on any more smoke. After 4 or 5 hours I then put in a pan and cover with foil. You can just foil if you don't have a pan. The pan makes it easier to move and you don't have any leaks to loose juice. I' then crank the heat to 275 and let go untill meat hits an internal temp of 180. If you don't have a meat thermometer check with a fork it should slid in like going in to butter. Believe it or not the blunt end will fin before the flat. Have fun!!!!!
The above is just my 2 cents worth, Other pit masters have different ways with great results..
Ok Jeff thanks,i'm going to do this Sunday.I'll call you then for info.Thanks again.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Marinate for couple hous. Two cups orange juice with pulp, two squeezed lemons, two table spoons, black pepper, two table spoons lemon pepper. Remove from marinate and apply dry rub of your choice. Two cups Fiesta steak seasoning with tablespoon of packed brown sugar and teaspoon of cayenne pepper works really well. Massage dry seasoning into meat and let set in fridge while you build your fire. If you use wood let heavy smoke subside and keep fir between 190 and 210. Cook for 10 to 12 hours or until internal temp. reaches at least 185. Insert fork and twist. If there is little resistance meat is done. If meat becomes too dark for your liking after 5 hours, loosely tent with foil for remainder of cooking time.

Good luck, jdot

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Marinade or dry rub at least overnight, put on the pit no foil 4-6 hours @ 200-250, wrap and seal with foil 2-4 hours @ 200-300, take off and place in ice chest lined with foil 1-3 hours or until ready to slice/serve.
I have put tham in an ice chest overnight and served at lunch time the next day and they are still hot.

There's no right or wrong way to smoke briskets try, try, and try again until you find something you like. (See my other thread Cold BBQ day)

I like Zach's Spice Company BBQ dry rubs.
Do you need a person to do some taste test ? :brew: will come with me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
After about 4 hours, I put a very small amount of sauce or other liquid over the top and double wrap. I then don't pull off until they're at 200, then let them sit for at least an hour. Check out this site www.texasbbqrub.com and register for the newsletter. Then check out the forum. You will learn a ton!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts