2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
April 29, 2013

The lodge welcomed Jeff S. back with one of the largest aggregate companies in the world, they had a 5-boat 2-day corporate outing scheduled. Meanwhile, it's been awhile since the Horizon Bank crews been to BFL, but according to James D. "This was the best bay fishing experience of my life". They're looking forward to a return trip in July and August for some fun flounder gigging. Not all boats faired well with trout, it was a struggle for Captain Rick's group...He stated "I chased my tail all day".

Props go out to the following guides for finding limits of trout during tough fishing conditions on Monday. Captain Nick stated "We rolled them out quickly in an area that most people never consider fishing, it was a risk, but it pad off. The Horizon Bank group really seemed to enjoy it".

Captain Cooper Hartmann also found full limits for his group with Jeff S., while Captain Steve Boldt showed the Horizon Bank crew an awesome experience down at Bay Flats Lodge. Captain TJ found limits for Jeff S. and crew. Captain David McClelland finished strong with 20-trout 3-drums with Jeff S. Also limiting out was Captain Nathan and his group with Jeff S. They had full limits of trout.

According to guests that fished with Captain Jason, "We had a top water bite all day, and a lot of trout action".

Attachments

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tuesday's reports...

Limits to near limits of trout were checked in Tuesday by BFL guides Captain Nathan Beabout & Captain Rick Hammond while drift fishing live shrimp over area shell pads in the San Antonio Bay region. I didn't hear back from the other 6- guides; so no reports from Captains TJ, Harold, David, Cooper, Jason and Stephen. The lodge welcomed 17-guests for a corporate fishing outing on Wednesday. Reports to come!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"May Fishing Forecast"

April 2, 2013

If the latest predictions by some of the weather expects prove to be reality in the summer of 2013, the state of Texas could very well be looking at drought conditions of a magnitude not seen in our state for more than one hundred years. With that said, we might anticipate the month of May as being a time of dry skies, humid temperatures, and fluctuating tides. Lower amounts of precipitation this month will probably mean that salinity levels in area bays will also maintain somewhat constant levels which should positively influence all marine life along our coast, especially the trout, the red fish, and the flounder.

This month will also mean that we've reached a substantial subsidence in northerly winds that have affected us so strongly over the course of the past several months. We have already experienced our last significant front, and we should now be able to look forward to prominent winds out of the southeast which should bring with them greener water and the start to a good, steady trout bite above hard sand and grass.

Days will become longer as daylight hours continue to increase each day, and air and water temperatures will continue to climb. This month I will look to begin fishing just as early as possible each day. My goal each morning will be for me to have already reached my first destination, dropped anchor, and climbed over the side of the boat to begin my first wade session of the day during the first hour prior to sunrise each morning. This, hopefully, will help to put me in the same spot with any of the fish that may have ventured out of the depths during the darkness of night to feed in the shallows and to take advantage of the shallows' cooler early morning temperatures.

I'll look for the bite on top before all else, as it's my favorite form of fishing and I know I won't be able to help myself. I look for the effectiveness of my top water baits to only increase as we progress through the month and into summertime. However, another favorite bait of mine this month with be some of the more popular suspending and slow-sinking baits like the Corky and the FatBoy. The thrill of fooling a large trout or red with one of these baits ranks right up there with surface walkers for me, and I look forward to the month of May as a chance to knock the rust off my plugs and get ready for all the excitement that the Texas coast during summertime has to offer.

www.ttffishing.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts