2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Report is a little late but here goes.............

Basically....wow. If you gave me a blank check and build a lodge, I'm not sure it would be nicer than this place.

WBHB, Bayduck, Bassfreeks, Cpt. Stout and another buddy took Monday off for some fishing. We arrived at Bay Flats Sunday afternoon in time for some ritas at the summer kitchen tucked into the live oaks. We adjourned upstairs for plenty of fishing stories while dining on steak, steamed veggies, baked potatoes, french bread, salad. As if that wasn't enough, we spilled a bit of grape juice and topped the meal off with chocolate cheesecake (?) and probably the best cookie I've ever eaten 6 of......

Evening cocktails on the porch watching the sun go down ended up with a fantastic fireworks show somebody was putting on down at the boat ramp!

Monday morning was coffee and breakfast while watching a passing shower on the huge widescreen in the living room. We quickly moved down to Port O and proceeded to fish one shoreline all day.

First, it was trout on topwaters until about 8am. Then, I waded up skinny and sat in hundreds of redfish for a couple hours sightcasting to them. That is when they weren't swimming right past me (along with a ton of black drum). They were pretty picky but I found plenty to eat old school (gold spoon).

We finished the day back out deep hammering trout on soft plastics. The porpoise and sharks were right in there, too! It was like wading in an aquarium all day. After wolfing down lunch on the boat, we headed back in to shower up and get back to Houston.

We kept a couple fish a piece for the frying pan and released a TON of fish all day long. That was easily one of the best days I've had on the bay in 10 years.

IT IS ON DOWN THERE RIGHT NOW! The freshwater runoff has been a huge help on the coast. The fish have alot fewer places to go and when you find them, they are there in numbers.

Here are a couple pics...I was so busy catching fish that I really didn't take too many....still ove my Olympus 770 waterproof digital....best $325 I've spent on fishing.

Guys, what did I miss?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
sweet

Looks awesome. But can someone explain why the girly man shafer is wearing waders in late July? Cmon Shaf, its been cool but not THAT cool. lol Looks like a great time was had, cant wait to get there in October. I think Im more excited about seeing the Lodge than I am the fishing. lol Sounds like a Palace.

Z

·
Super Moderator
863 Posts
Great Time

Chris and Deb definitely have a great thing going. They , truly, have not missed a detail. It would be a great idea to not eat a couple days before the trip.

TJ definitely knows how to put you fish. We released over 30 solid trout to the mid 20's. That nascar looking boat flat out runs , too.

"Old School" ? F2S needs to call Schutlz to find out what happens to young whippersnapper that challenge the " Old School" to a casting contest.......Hint , the young guy with 'New School' equipment is a little lighter in the pocketbook......lol

4600 C4 rules !....... :)

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
Bayduck said:
Chris and Deb definitely have a great thing going. They , truly, have not missed a detail. It would be a great idea to not eat a couple days before the trip.

TJ definitely knows how to put you fish. We released over 30 solid trout to the mid 20's. That nascar looking boat flat out runs , too.

"Old School" ? F2S needs to call Schutlz to find out what happens to young whippersnapper that challenge the " Old School" to a casting contest.......Hint , the young guy with 'New School' equipment is a little lighter in the pocketbook......lol

4600 C4 rules !....... :)
I remember that casting dual...Back then Aubrey was still an Abu guy but he has since gone the way of the dark side.

BTW, did you have to break the glass at the museum to get to those reels...lol

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey Zac, I had a "condition" on my leg, so I thought it was best to wear the waders. You should have been there. We SMASHED 'em in those ice cream conditions. It was a hit on every cast in chest deep water for trout, and the sight of seeing literally hundreds of redfish schooling up in a couple of acres of knee deep water was priceless. But that is not the first time I have seen that while I was a guest at BFL.

Chris has a fabulous lodge in Seadrift. You are going to enjoy it in the fall. BTW, I missed the invitation! ;) I dare call it the best kept secret on the Texas coast. What a beauty. Chris understands that lodges are about entertainment and good memories and knows how to entertain folks in a first class manner. The fishin ain't too bad for some second class pluggers, either...... I was happy that BD, Monarchy, Possession Limit, Rick, and Aubrey were able to join in on the fun with TJ and Harold.

Hey, we told Chris to join us down south after Christmas. Want to place a bet that he is there on the 26th?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Had a blast guys. Can't say enough good about Chris' place. First class guides as well. I hope to see Harold and T.J. down here when the Big Girls are biting next year.

WBHB, I hope Chris takes you up on the offer after Christmas. Later, Aubrey

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Aubrey,

I just marked my booking book, lodge is closed in Seadrift, heading south with the best...Count me in, and by the way, I know a place that just ordered 16 oz. rib eyes.

Chris

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
Woah BD, I seem to recall a different outcome vs my curado superfree once while in aransas pass....lol

OMG is that an alligator out there in the middle of the bay??? lol

·
Super Moderator
863 Posts
Oh BradP/Grasshoppersohn

Whatever vision of beating the C-4, is a mystical dream cause by steroid use , honey moon use, lack of PL use, and a degenerative condition call " my new wife won't let me go fishing" .......lol

Hope everything is well, and you need to join us next time for another lesson.. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts