2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend Bay Fllats guides rolled up on a public boat ramp and blocked all the areas to tie a boat up after you launch. It is a public boat ramp but they need to show a little common courtesy and common sense. Instead of launching all their boats and clogging up a small area how about waiting until their customers show up or are leaving the lodge before putting their boat in the water. I talked to a couple of the guides a
Water Sky Ecoregion Cloud Azure
nd they were aware that it was a issue but some of them couldn't have given a rat's ***. They are licensed Captains by the USCG and guiding for a high dollar lodge act like the professional that you are supposed be !
Water Sky Boat Wheel Tire

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is only an explanation and certainly not trying to defend their actions. It looks as if your at swan point park which is a public ramp. However the boat docks next door are in fact owned and managed by Bay Flats. It they had boats at the ramps docks one of two issues occurred. The tide was so far out the boats could not use their docks or they had a large corporate event and had hired some outside guides. I know this because I use that dock regularly and the lodge guides often assist in launching my boat when I arrive. Several of those boats in the pics are not regular guides for lodge. Yes those guys have a flock of boats and it can be annoying, But I know if they are not polite and helpful they are not there long. Just my experience.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is only an explanation and certainly not trying to defend their actions. It looks as if your at swan point park which is a public ramp. However the boat docks next door are in fact owned and managed by Bay Flats. It they had boats at the ramps docks one of two issues occurred. The tide was so far out the boats could not use their docks or they had a large corporate event and had hired some outside guides. I know this because I use that dock regularly and the lodge guides often assist in launching my boat when I arrive. Several of those boats in the pics are not regular guides for lodge. Yes those guys have a flock of boats and it can be annoying, But I know if they are not polite and helpful they are not there long. Just my experience.
Bay Flats does not own the Marina next door. The developer of Swan Point Landing owns it and he closed it January 1, 2022 for "maintenance". So I guess its been a while since you used the ramp. They are not even allowed to use the docks over there much less the wet slips. This has been a on going problem for almost 3 months.

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
So........did you launch there or go into seadrift and use the other boat ramp? Hard to ***** about a "public ramp" when it inconveniences you. Did you go to the lodge and let them know you didn't appreciate them hogging up the ramp?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So........did you launch there or go into seadrift and use the other boat ramp? Hard to * about a "public ramp" when it inconveniences you. Did you go to the lodge and let them know you didn't appreciate them hogging up the ramp?
I launched my boat and tied up to one of the guide boats since there weren't other options. I talked to some of the guides about the problem. Several were aware that it was a issue
and several just ran their smart a** mouth. I have emailed Chris a couple of times with pics but zero response from him.

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
I launched my boat and tied up to one of the guide boats since there weren't other options. I talked to some of the guides about the problem. Several were aware that it was a issue
and several just ran their smart a** mouth. I have emailed Chris a couple of times with pics but zero response from him.
I would have done the same thing. I only fish with bay flats when someone else is paying for me. It seems like that place is majority corporate trips and not really worried about anybody else.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Big Fish,

Hello, this is Chris Martin owner of Bay Flats Lodge. Until the marina is repaired, we must use the public boat ramp. We are also using other boat ramps in Seadrift and Charlies Bait Camp along with ones in POC. I have also discussed our use of the ramps with the Texas Game Wardens. We're asking our guides to keep their boats on the trailer until their guest arrive.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 361-746-0280 or email me below.

Thanks
Chris Martin
[email protected]

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Big Fish,

Hello, this is Chris Martin owner of Bay Flats Lodge. Until the marina is repaired, we must use the public boat ramp. We are also using other boat ramps in Seadrift and Charlies Bait Camp along with ones in POC. I have also discussed our use of the ramps with the Texas Game Wardens. We're asking our guides to keep their boats on the trailer until their guest arrive.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 361-746-0280 or email me below.

Thanks
Chris Martin
[email protected]
I appreciate you addressing this issue. Better late than never as it has only been going on for almost 3 months. Not sure what the State Game Warden has to do with the use of a public County boat ramp. Especially since no one is saying that you or your guides aren't supposed to be using it as it is a "Public" boat ramp. But whatever! All I am saying is do it in a courtesy and professional manner so everyone can use the ramp. Several of your guides were absolutely professional on Sunday. Wish I could have said that about all of them.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I would contact the city or county who oversees the boat ramp and ask to be placed on the next meeting agenda. Show them how for profit companies are exploiting and limiting use of this public access for residents. Ask them to amend some rules that can be enforced.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts