2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From some of the BC earlier posts we have discussed props several times on top end vs hole shot. I had Louie take a stock Power Tech and re do it to what he told me would almost be as good as one of his Blaster props.
He changed the Rake, went to 16 pitch and increased the cup.

Tim Lopas and I were out today in west bay with full fishing gear and had the Tohatsu set at 1 on Bob's and we got 39.4 mph this afternoon quartering into the wind and waves today at 5700 rpm and 34.7 mph with Bob's up. Boat will also jump well with two people.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Gotz lots of faith in his props. Had a 4-blade went to a 3-bld oyster prop 15pitch, they are the bomb. Bauman has my business, hands down. Have a 20-ft custom flat w 140 tohatty and love it. Alot better gas mileageand better top end. I beat the living hell out of it, prop looks like day i bought it. Wouldnt think of spending money on a prop from anyone else.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
who is Bauman,, or this Louie guy?

Reactions: Gilbert

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baumann Propellers

Baumann Propeller is the oldest and largest propeller shop in Houston. ... Marine Prop related Questions If you have any question related to Marine props ...
www.[B]baumann[/B]props.com/ -

His family has been building and rebuilding props in Houston forever. Louie is the owner.

About 1/2 the time I leave the second n off the last name.

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Received this from Louie Baumann

Jim,
we have 3 different propellers you can test run.
2 are 4 blades and 1 is a 3 blade.
We have had success putting the 3 blade on smaller boats and they ran well.
But we will let you make your own determination since everyone wants their boats to do specific things.
All we need is for you to run a credit card number for the cost of the propeller and it will be credited back upon return.
Louie Baumann

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Baumann

Baumann is an institution. My father-in-law used them for props on his race boats in the 60's. I got to spend some quality time with Louis last night getting my scooter navy tuned up below the waterline...looking forward to seeing the results!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Baumann knows his business, is a professional at it and works hard for good customer service. This is not to say his business is not the only one at this, but he is my choice for prop needs here in Houston.

Oh, if you stop by his booth at HBS, please don't feed his little bitty nephew! Kid could go grizzly bear hunting with a switch.

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Louie Does all my Prop work.. They know there buisness

·
My rod and reel comfort me. St Pete 8lb
212 Posts
How shallow should I be able to get up in with a stock 15 pitch prop from Tran?
I was in about mid calf deep water with a mud bottom and I was having trouble getting up.
I've ran about 39 mph by myself in a slight chop.
I am more concerned about a hole shot than top speed.
Do ya'll think a double cup on the power tech prop would work?
I plan on getting a prop from Baumann but I wanted to wait and save a little cash up before I make the purchase.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Is that the baby cat?[

QUOTE=boonedog;2549235]How shallow should I be able to get up in with a stock 15 pitch prop from Tran?
I was in about mid calf deep water with a mud bottom and I was having trouble getting up.
I've ran about 39 mph by myself in a slight chop.
I am more concerned about a hole shot than top speed.
Do ya'll think a double cup on the power tech prop would work?
I plan on getting a prop from Baumann but I wanted to wait and save a little cash up before I make the purchase.[/QUOTE]

·
212 Posts
yes it's a baby cat

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have the same prop, going to get a little bit more cup, but she likes to spin up to the left. PUt the Jp at about 5 to 6, trim tucked down, any passengers on the front deck or casting platform, turn the wheel all the way left, punch it do a 3/4 spin to the left, then straighten out. Worked well in 10in. mud.

·
212 Posts
Ok thanks, I will try it. I had the passengers on the front deck and I cut it hard to the right with no luck. just threw mud rooster tails
I knew the baby cat can get up in shallower water than I was in
I won't cut it as hard and I'll cut to the left.
My old Mowdy I had to cut it hard and she would pop up.
Once again thanks

·
Excel, it's easy to be average
2,153 Posts
Suggestion - take your prop to someone who is experienced at producing performance you desire. Others can work on your prop a number of times before you get what you want.

Essentially you get what you want or have to adapt to what is available.

Charles

1 - 18 of 18 Posts