2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
15,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it in my mind to start changing out batteries now. Need feedback on whats out there and what to get "now-a-days"! Best bang for the buck..I suppose. I know it may depend on the amt. of $$ U want to throw out but a good dependable one on the market now will work. Opinions???

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
autozone was picked by consumer report - search here above under yellow baner for topic or use the internet

·
Registered
857 Posts
IMO AutoZone batteries are the best bang for the buck; both auto and marine. Been running them for many years and they never let me down.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Batteries from Sam's club. Good return policy. Reasonably priced. I have starting and trolling batteries from them going on four years. Just check the water levels and keep them properly charged.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Autozone, used to always buy at Sams, now they require you to keep receipt, heck I walk out of a store and I loose track of the receipt, let alone 2 years later. Autozone keeps your phone number in the computer, have had many batterys replaced there, and will keep going back when needed.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I agree, the Optima blue top. The last time I purchased one, I shopped around and Costco had the best price. I remove my battery to charge it, no more worries about tiny holes in my clothes from the acid. The only problem I have is that it charges funny with my old analog metered battery charger and I am never quite sure it is 100% charged.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have had good luck with Stowaway batteries from Academy. They are made by Exide, and they are cheaper than many other brands. Had my last set of deep cycle batts last 4 years and the starting battery last 3 years.

I haven't tried Duralast (autozone) or Diehard (sears), but they are made by Johnson Controls, also a good brand. I personally don't think Optimas make sense financially, but I have seen nothing bad about them.

·
SFA '88
760 Posts
I am running 2 Trojan Deep Cycle batteries for motor and electronics with a Perko to switch between the two. I am running 3 Optima Blue Tops for the 36V trolling motor. I have been running this set up since April and have had ZERO problems so far.

·
Registered
90 Posts
1st off where is your batt. located? if in the rear of boat it is the smoothest ride so no need for the expense of the gel cell! or so I was told by a mech. Then if your trolling batt is in the front of the boat then go with the gel cell because of the rough ride , Reg. batt. break down easier than a gel cell . just my nickel's worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts