2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/09/25/bass-pro-cabelas-complete-merger.html

well its official - two now become one. this wont be good.

As a Manufacturer (who does not sell into either of these stores FYI) i see this as a disaster. Where yesterday there were two major outlets as buyers now there is one representing the same market volume. So I don't see how the new Bass Cabelas doesn't demand their suppliers immediately slash wholesales prices by 50% .. so those last remaining USA manufacturers are almost forced to go to china to offset the revenue loss. Walmart is Famous for pushing American Based manufacturers to china to help lower costs, i see no BUSINESS reason this new Bass Cabeals company doesn't do the same thing (unless MBA's are being taught something different all the sudden).

However what REALLY worries me is Bass Pro Shops habit of making Cheap Knock offs of Lures. Those Cheap Knock offs Bass Pro manufacturers will now cross over into Cabeals stores i would assume thus lowering overall sales of suppliers.

IF someone can justify the existence of a monopoly id like to hear it (granted this is not a true monopoly.. but close enough for me)

·
Electric/Paddle Kayak Fisherman
504 Posts
I live in Austin just like you Marker. I haven't bought one item from either store in years and I catch a lot of fish :) Both stores are ridiculous on their prices so I use the internet stores and outlets like Ebay, Amazon or Craigslist. Academy and West Marine are also sources when I must have something quick (don't go to Dicks either). Monopoly? I don't think so.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Support your local shops and don't worry about it. Find a local shop who carries the good stuff that you want to use, not the knock off and off name junk some of the big mega stores like to push on you.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I think that Bass Pro has more fishing gear/equipment than Cabelas and Cabelas has more hunting gear. With that said, I have never ordered anything from Bass Pro and use them only once in a blue moon but I will order items from Cabelas on occasion for hunting. I think the stores still will offer items to two different markets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Brick and mortar stores will never compete with the internet. This is a move for them to try and be more competitive. Academy can beat them out on price with lower overhead and convenience (way more stores). Suppliers will adjust to market not to store bargaining power - this is why Amazon is kicking Walmart in the butt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brick and mortar stores will never compete with the internet. This is a move for them to try and be more competitive. Academy can beat them out on price with lower overhead and convenience (way more stores). Suppliers will adjust to market not to store bargaining power - this is why Amazon is kicking Walmart in the butt

Boy that's been the raging debate after a few beers in my shop ... does the internet really sell lures ?

I like to see new lures before I buy them ., I like to shake them in the box , etc. now after I pave been using them for a while ....could I resupply via internet sales .. sure. But new things I've never seen .. I don't think fishing lures of that catagory sell that well via internet .

I feel cars are the same way ... I just want to kick a tire

·
Registered
116 Posts
I consistently loose the same lures so it's always easy to figure out which ones I have to buy next ;)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Sad to see BAAD Marine closing their doors. That's what internet shopping gets you, right there. Sure, a shopper can save a couple of bucks on a $20 or $30 dollar order, but it seals the deal for the independent tackle dealer.

So with this going on at the surface, here's a larger dilemma nobody sees. The advance of rod and reel technology is basically supported by large corporations seeking to insure their position at the head of the parade with continuous innovation. Not so the lure side of the industry.

Lures are not glamorous big ticket items where R&D expense can be buried in the selling price. So, lure design is left to smaller entrepreneurial operators who are actually fishermen trying to catch more fish; i.e.: Marker 54 and others like him.

Then, when some genius product hits the street, somebody takes it to China and markets the imitation on the internet. But there are some rare exceptions, MirrOlure's acquisition of Paul Brown B&L Corky is one, but Paul certainly had his imitators along the way.

Suppport your local tackle dealer while you still have one.
Oh - BTW - I do not see the BP-Cabela's merger as a bad thing.

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,640 Posts
I talked to Brian yesterday.. sad to see his shop go.

As for Bass Pro, I only went in the store to look at colors. I did buy a little from their website but that was about it. I think a lot of people are buying local and buying direct from lure makers as well. Seems we're looking for the best products where ever that may be and usually willing to pay to get what we want. Sometimes what we want is the least expensive and sometimes it's the most expensive. I wonder if Amazon is kicking their arse?

EJ's dead on about engineered copies of everything.. there's not much respect or integrity in the industry any more. I also hear everyone wanting to buy American but many are just talking about it and many still are turning to the china mfg'd imitations.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I really like Bass Pro for their shirts and shoes. Reasonable prices and good quality .

For fishing lures, rods, reels I prefer FTU in Sugar Land. They seem to have a large selection of quality products that are suited for the Texas coast at reasonable prices. The sales people have always been helpful if I had a question.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
I talked to Brian yesterday.. sad to see his shop go.
Me too, it was about 7-10 minutes from the house, and I'd always stop in there if I needed something small and quick.

I guess they just weren't doing enough business?

On the BPS Merger, I'm more worried about the loss of Cabelas waterfowl gear, they make some pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
This is not even close to a monopoly. There are way too many competitors in this game for them to be considered a monopoly.

It is really going to be hard to compete against the Amazon effect. Getting bigger helps in some ways but both of these companies have a TON of overhead and will find it very hard to compete.

Academy has really been hitting on all cylinders with their retail selection, online ordering and the awesome price match. The new BPS-Cabelas is still going to have their hands full trying to compete.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Don't even get me started on lure company's shutting down. Placed a $400 order 2 years ago to my favorite lure company, the guy asked if I was worried about running out. I said you never know.

Now they are closed down.

I would pay double what I paid two years ago for just 1000 more lures....

As marker 54 lures said, I like to look at/ feel the lure before I purchase. Also working it in a pool to see the action helps...

Rip Cotee

Attachments

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
For lures I never order online unless I have used them and know that I like them. I sometimes also will order lures after seeing reports on 2cool about what is catching fish.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Needed to replace a trolling motor on board charger.
Shopped around & found the best price for the same exact part on line.
Made & could not be happier with my purchase from an internet store in Fla.

Brick & mortar store are either flooding a local market or closing.
Now under construction is the first Academy Store in our area. ...... ICM

·
Jeremiah 29:11
5,793 Posts
I was waiting on that happen. I pass by there quite often and never see ANYBODY in the parking lot. Saw this coming. I only bought one thing from there (13 fishing reel) and when I went to get it, I noticed the store was about empty. Sad to hear! From what I've seen, they just haven't been getting business

·
Jeremiah 29:11
5,793 Posts
I think that Bass Pro has more fishing gear/equipment than Cabelas and Cabelas has more hunting gear. With that said, I have never ordered anything from Bass Pro and use them only once in a blue moon but I will order items from Cabelas on occasion for hunting. I think the stores still will offer items to two different markets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Don't know which BPS and Cabelas you're comparing, but I seem to the find opposite at the Cabelas in League City/BPS off of 288. Either way, they are both high on price. I've started to get most of my stuff at Hookspit. They have really everything you can need/want.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts