2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear what yall think of Bass Pro (the store mainly). It's been my experience that their sales people in the hunting dept are terrible. Luckily I usually go in there knowing the products and what I want, but when I listen to them talk to other customers about products I just have to shake my head and bite my lip...they don't know squat. I went in there to buy a rangefinder this weekend and the guy helping the two customers in front of me couldn't answer a single question they had. I've seen it time and time again.

And to make matters worse, they were sold out of the rangefinder I wanted. On the first day of their big "Fall Hunting Classic" they don't have the dang things. They did offer to sell me the display model w/ no box or papers for a 5% discount...brutal!

I'm not a big fan, but I'll be back b/c I've got credit card points, a bunch of 20% off coupons, and they will match prices.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
I think the have great selection, but most of the time Academy has the same item for less than BPS "sale" price.

That and it's just to freakin far to drive out there. I can't wait to see what the Gander Mountain store will look like - and only 5 miles from home...I'll really be in trouble.

Would like to see a Cabela's store here also - but I think it's going to be in Dallas.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Woodrow, I have had a vastly different set of experiences with them. I mostly haunt the fishing aisles, offshore and inshore saltwater, mostly. I live so far away that it is a major drag on my time and gas allowence to go out there so I try to save up and keep a list of things I'm looking at and 3 or four times a year I go out and spend at least half a day, or, if I have time, the entire day, I have lunch out there and just cruise around the store making sure I don't over look any thing I went there for or any "inspiritationl" items that I had not thought of.

The sales people I've dealt with were extremely knowledgable and helped me make decisions many, many times. I have just never had a bad experience in there. On the rare occasion that I have had an issure with an item I bought there, they have always bent over backwards to satisfiy me, whether it involved a cash refund or an exchange.

They don't always beat WallyWorld or Academy in price but they aren't far off and the selection they have is just unbeatable.

I am a totally satisfied BPS customer. The only advice I can possibly offer you is to quit huntin' and start fishin' more. :D I did that about 15 years ago and I have never been happier in my life! :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
BassPro only miffed me once.
The wife purchased a Loomis rod there for my B-day. Took it fishing a couple of days later. After a couple of catches the thing broke in two! About a foot broke off the tip end. Immediatly took it back to BPS.
They stated they WOULD NOT refund purchase price. After some rather heated "discussion" they said they would exchange the rod for another. Of course they didn't have an identical rod so I had to get another that was slightly more expensive. Had to make up the difference out of my pocket.
They said something to the effect they won't do this for Loomis rods ever again.
No problem as I've never been back.

Once Cabela's opens in Texas we will have to pay sales tax. Sometimes that can be quite a bit of money on something like a high end binocular or similar item.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Experience counts...

Woodrow you're like me in that I know what I want when I go so I don't have to rely on the salespeople. I've heard some pretty bad advice given out at both Bass Pro and Academy. My favorite was when a guy asked if you could catch trout/reds with bass lures. The salesperson said "you can fish but you won't catch". I picked up 2 packs of BASS Assassins and went on my way.

I believe many here would be considered experts when compared to the staff at Academy or Bass Pro. Cut Rate is a different story as those guys know what they're talking about.

Then again my buddies say I spend some much time at those stores I've got the SKU's memorized for every piece of tackle on the shelf.

Go figure.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
BPS has a good selection. other than that they are crapo....

I htink BPS should hire their employes based on their knowladge and skill of the department they are in instead of "sellin" ability.....LOL........JJ

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
Cabela's

store will be in Buda, near Austin as per website. A big boost to that economy...

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
The problem is minimum wage staff and low paid mangement, but then they'd need to raise their prices to compensate. I buy online at BPS, have it delivered cheaper than I can drive there, Cabelas too. I like all the cute girls at Academy though.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
CHunter, me and you think alike brutha. LOL! I like cruisin around the store every 20 or so minutes just to gander. LOL.....aint a bit wrong with that CH..hehe///////////JJ

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
speckle-catcher said:
I think the have great selection, but most of the time Academy has the same item for less than BPS "sale" price.

That and it's just to freakin far to drive out there. I can't wait to see what the Gander Mountain store will look like - and only 5 miles from home...I'll really be in trouble.

Would like to see a Cabela's store here also - but I think it's going to be in Dallas.
I wouldn't get your hopes up on Gander Mountain Speckle-Catcher. We have them back in PA and I found that Walmart and the local chain sporting goods store (the name won't come up on here) had better prices and better staff. Yes, I said Walmart had better staff. Hopefully it will be different down here.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bearbasin is a great site, I agree, and I frequent it often just to look around. Bass Pro will match website prices. I found the Leica 1200 scan model on the web for $469 ($10 less that Bearbasin). That's a $30 savings from the $499 BPS sells it for. Add to that the 20% off coupon out of the Texas Outdoors Annual and some Bass Pro points and you'll have the only reason I'm buying the rangefinder from them.

Cabela's is actually pretty dang high in price, but as far as selection of quality products, they are the best. Don't get me wrong, I love Academy and Walley World both, you can fill a lot of "needs" in there! And I'm anxious about this Gander Mountain too, it'll be 10 minutes for me!

My main problem is the knowledge of the staff at BPS, in the hunting dept.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Moonpie said:
BassPro only miffed me once.
The wife purchased a Loomis rod there for my B-day. Took it fishing a couple of days later. After a couple of catches the thing broke in two! About a foot broke off the tip end. Immediatly took it back to BPS.
They stated they WOULD NOT refund purchase price. After some rather heated "discussion" they said they would exchange the rod for another. Of course they didn't have an identical rod so I had to get another that was slightly more expensive. Had to make up the difference out of my pocket.
They said something to the effect they won't do this for Loomis rods ever again.
No problem as I've never been back.

Once Cabela's opens in Texas we will have to pay sales tax. Sometimes that can be quite a bit of money on something like a high end binocular or similar item.
G.Loomis Limited Warranty

G.Loomis rods, custom rod blanks and Syncrotech fly reels are covered by a limited warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner. GL pushpoles, Venture (Adventure) fly reels, Premier Rods (PMR) and GL fly rod outfits are covered against defects in workmanship and materials for a period of one year from the date of purchase, sales receipt or proof of purchase required.

Ship the damaged rod or reel in a disposable container, prepaid and insured, along with a check or money-order for $20 to cover return shipping and handling for each claim in the U.S. If the shipping length is 9’ or longer, the shipping and handling fee is $45. Send directly to:

G.Loomis, Inc.
Warranty Service
1359 Down River Drive
Woodland, WA 98674

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ya'll just don't know the Bass Pro ropes!

For those of you not aware, the 2003 - 2004 Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual contained a coupon for 20% off any Bass Pro purchase! Guess who has taken advantage of that all year? Just grab a handful of them at Academy and head to Bass Pro. Know what you want when you get there. I'd be willing to get bad advice any day to save 20%. Especially when I'm investing in a set of $450 outriggers! Unfortunately, the new 2004 - 2005 books are now out and there is no longer a coupon in it. Just an advertisement! I'm bummed big time!

Personally though, I'm with Jack, I love Bass Pro and their personell! I am looking forward to checking out Gander Mountain. Shawn, do you know when it's opening? All I ever saw was 2004. What's the location?

·
H3 Titanium the ultimate in rod design.
646 Posts
The manager of the fishing department at BPS is as knowledgable as any other, anywhere else in Houston.

He has some of the best people around working for him but as with any other business turn over is a problem.
The core group is as good as Cut Rate, some of them have worked there and also ran their own Academy stores.

Ranger Bob

Team Ranger Bob proudly supports these fine sponsors.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Kim, location is...

290 & Hwy 6 right next the new Applebee's that just opened. Its that big building under construction.

Supposed to open in October (specific date not know to me).

Howard

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
My $.02

Bass Pro Shop is owned by Tracker Marine Group, who is owned by Johnny Morris.....I know y'all are talking about sporting goods but your money is still going into Johnny Morris's pocket.

My bad experience has been with their boats and Tracker Marine Warranty in particular.....they don't stand behind their products/boat AT ALL!

I own a 25' SeaCraft (now called SeaCrapt) that has $21,000+ damage to a 3 1/2 year old boat, all the damage is structural-none were caused by abuse. Well I say that THEY are claiming the damage around the transom was caused by me not using transom savers. Which is non-sense!

Details and some photos can be seen at:

http://forum.classicseacraft.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=14836&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've usually found better stuff at lower prices at Academy. Plus Academy does more good for the community, not to mention, that their prices are always lower. I don't bother driving out there now unless its for something special i can't get anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
My only problem with BPS is they don't always have everything in stock. For example, my last trip there was to get a VHF antenna and to get a ratchet mount so I wound't break the new one off in a tree like I did the old one. They had the mount, but of 5 possible 3ft or 4ft VHF antennas that would work on a ratchet mount, they had ZERO in stock. Not even the whip antenna was in stock. That was bad, but what really bothered me is that the guy didn't know when they would get more in. He said the truck came Tuesday but couldn't guarantee there would be one on the truck. He even suggested I try West Marine.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
That old excuse, "the truck will be here on Xday, but I don't know what THEY are sending us?" I've only seen that happen when a company gets so big that nobody really knows what is going on. There is one of those super wally stores near my house. If you find something there at a good price, you better buy it immediately. They may never carry it again.

What do you guys think about the observation that 8 out 10 non-perishable items at any of the shops named above were made in China? I would like to see more items on the shelves made in the USA or at least made in this hemisphere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts