2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hunters helping Hunters
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on the lower Neches River and with all the rain fall it looks like the normal brackish water will now be fresh water for a while. Any advice on how to fish those areas as the habitats that bass usually stay in are pretty much non existent the closer you get to the Sabine Lake.

Does the freshwater even bring a large volume of bass down or does it just push out salty fish and leave the area sparse with quality game fish?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Clear Creek is brackish, constantly gets completely freshwater flushed/flooded out, but always has bass. When the salt pushes back up current, I'm assuming the bass move ahead of it. but the last several years the fresh water has dominated. fish any and all structure, piers, bulkheads, brush or trees, worms and spinner baits work great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As c hook said small worms, ned rigs, crawwarms, crank baits, traps, spinnerbaits work well in clear creek and in the trinity river and about any creek or river. When It rains as much as it has I have caught a few bass over the years in clearlake itself and Ive caught reds and flounder all the way up into friendswood where I live when we have a rain drought. Anything that will make a current brake will hold fish a some point. If the water is cleaner pitching worms and craw worms or beaver style baits to cover or a small swimbait or trap over the grass. If it has some color or is muddy spinner baits or crank baits work well. River fishing is a lot harder to find fish, but when you do they normally are loaded up in a area. Then you know what to go look for and can go find a few places that set up like it. I do fish the orange area your talking about and the grass beds play a big roll and the better fsih normally hold up under the hyacinth mats. so I always have a punching rod. That would be my starting point.

·
Hunters helping Hunters
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I went this morning and went back into some of the flats off of the river and a few places where I knew the water would be somewhat clearer. I did see several small bass, nothing worth writing home about. Could not get anything to bite. I threw, a square bill crank, spinner, crawfish, worm, lizard, and a grub bait. The water was pretty warm so maybe they were deeper? Not sure, seeing as there is not a lot of places with structure, vegetation, and bait I am not sure if there are too many other spots. Might just be a waiting game and finding that right hole or finding the flavor of the day. Regardless I was at least relieved to see a few swimming (makes me feel like im not fishing for something that isnt there)

On a side note, if you see a gator while fishing does it normally mean no fish near by? I have heard mixed opinions here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live on the lower Neches River and with all the rain fall it looks like the normal brackish water will now be fresh water for a while. Any advice on how to fish those areas as the habitats that bass usually stay in are pretty much non existent the closer you get to the Sabine Lake.

Does the freshwater even bring a large volume of bass down or does it just push out salty fish and leave the area sparse with quality game fish?

Thanks
I fish Sabine Lake regularly. There’s plenty bass that have moved in to the now completely fresh areas. The bass are moving from deeper in the marshes to mouths of drains into the lake.

Target drains when the tide moves. Shelfs and dropoffs. I usually have luck with white beatle spins, Carolina rigged worms...fished aggressively.

If you don’t mind fishing live bait and can find mud minnows that’s the best bet.

Here’s a pic of mine and my son’s catch

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts