2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a traditional "bass boat" (Skeeter, Cajun, etc...) - how many people usually occupy a boat for a typical fishing adventure?

Can 4 people go fish together on a boat like this, or is it really just a 2-person boat?

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
Depends on the size.

If you have a 16-18 foot boat, 2-3 max. 3 would be tight on a 15 or 16 footer but comfortable on an 18 footer.

If you're looking at a 20-22 foot boat, then 4 could be okay. The issue will be where is that 4th guy going to sit when you're running around. The bench seating in a bass boat is usually good for 3 people. If you're looking at a fish-n-ski there will be more seating.

One other very important factor in the number of folks you can fish out of a boat is each individual's abilities. You can fish more folks if all know what they are doing. However, if you're going to attempt to take 3 newbies plus you, it would be a zoo on anything less than a 30 foot pontoon boat. :biggrin:

Just my thoughts.

Oh, and "How big a boy are ya?"

·
Banned
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not a "big boy" by any means. 5'6" and about 190 lbs. I wouldn't say I'm "small"...but definitely not a big corn-fed sumb-tch either.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
The rated maximum capacity in terms of number of people as well as weight should be visible on a sticker or plate somewhere on the boat, usually on the console.

From a practical fishing standpoint, I have a 23' boat with a rated capacity of 8 people and 2300 lbs. 4 people can fish from it if they all know what they're doing, but 3 is more practical.

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
And for that rated capacity tag, I think the USCG thinks all people weight 150 or 160 pounds. The difference in the weight capacity will be your gear etc.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
TimOub007 said:
And for that rated capacity tag, I think the USCG thinks all people weight 150 or 160 pounds. The difference in the weight capacity will be your gear etc.
LOL! Your right about that. The most people I've ever had in my boat is six, and that was canal cruising.

My son had seven scantily clad maidens in it this weekend, but heaviest one probably didn't weigh more than 115. :dance:

I usually just have a couple of ugly gray haired guys I fish with in it. Hmmm! Maybe I need to change my priorities.:biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts