2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to sound like a PETA tree hugger here, but has anyone ever tried barbless hooks? I'm tired of crippling dinks. My kids love to fish under birds and to them size or species is not a concern. But I'd like to try barb-less jig heads and don't know if they're available or if I need to invest in a grinding device of some kind. Any ideas?

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Back in the day before limits we used to mash the barbs down so as to get m off n back to fishn, we wouldn't box m till the bottom of boat was covered....WW

·
Registered
384 Posts
Go Barbless

I know people who fish for a living and cut or push the barbs down. If you fight the fish correctly you do not need the barbs. I was skeptical at first but I am now a believer!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
barb

I have two very young anglers and they are getting good enough to fish with top waters and hard plastic baits. they are still young and have the trouble some times casting if wind is tough, tight places, etc .... to protect me and them while we fish at the bow of the boat(all three of us). If we get stuck by a hook it makes it safe and easier to take hook out of my back by crimping down the barb (its happened before)...none the less even my 5 and 6 year old have not lost a fish since doing that to the barb. Lost some due to line breaks but not due to crimping barb. here is Chase 5 yr old first top water red!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts