2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Professional Shoreline Burner
483 Posts
Ruger Redlabel Allweather.... Best money I ever spent. Been shooting this gun 5 plus years in the salt marshes up and down the coast. It always goes BANG,BANG. But sometimes you do miss that third shot.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I occaisonally hunt with my ole Browing Citori if we are going to be in a nice dry blind and not have to wade..just fun to shoot especially when I have my .410 tubes in..:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that a used O/U with camo applied/coated/dipped would not be a bad gun for waterfowl.

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
I shoot everything w/ a o/u.I grew up shooting my old mans Winchester 101 :) When I had a good job, I bought autos and pumps......sold all of them and ONLY have a o/u for everything :) Like stated above.....they always go bang !Plus, they make you a better shot by only having 2 shells to expend on your target/targets.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I've shot a few with my 101. Try loading one lying on your back in a laydown blind. Love my 101. Not a duck gun.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Nope, sorry that 3d shot is critically important

This isnt the old days of limitless ducks that have never been decoyed before. I can't tell you how many times I have needed that third shot on one bird....lots of cripples would have escaped without it. In fact I disagree with the three shot plug rule. I mean you only get one limit of ducks. I think many hunters have shot a limit plus one or two hit but not bagged due to lack of additional firepower.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
My Ruger Red Label has assisted me many time in scoring doubles, reload and still pick up a third bird over decoys. There were days our group agreed, only double guns! The group got more patient in setting up for the shot.

I prefer to teal hunt with my Charles Daley Grade III 20 gauge O/U.

Nice, selective way to hunt.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Beretta Black Onyx for ducks, Whitewing for dove, Silver Pigeon for quail- been shooting O/U for over 15 years and love them. I own 4 Beretta O/U - shoot ducks, geese, dove & quail with them. When I first put the auto down, I missed the 3rd shot - now, its no big deal. I only get to shoot 6 ducks so it allows the hunt to last a little longer. I get to stand up and shoot 3 times instead of 2. For dove and quail the little 28 gauge is really sweet. You can carry it all day and not even notice it.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
I agree with Johnboat, the three-shot rule was a sour-grapes mandate pushed thru Congress way back when pumps and semi's first came about.
I love doubles(true doubles, the SXS) but repeaters are most effective for waterfowl, IMO.

·
Master of Boats
1,434 Posts
I started my son out duck hunting with a 12 gauge O/U. It was safe, I could look over and check him quickly. Most importantly, it made him wait and be patient, rather than blam blam blam. I would normally let him call the shot, shoot first and mop up if needed with the SBE.

Funny story - left the blind, to wade out to the robo duck and fiddle with it, a batch of 4 teal came in, I froze still, whistled on the wingsetter a couple times and looked down to hide my face. Sure enough, Blam, Blam. I holler up " how many did ya get?".

And the answer was......"All of them!" truly a proud poppa moment....He waited just right to use his only two shots for sure.

So yeah - O/U are great for ducks, I teal hunt sometimes with a 20 O/U, too.

MM

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Just had my most enjoyable wood duck shoot of the season Saturday afternoon with my daughter's 20 O/U. I'm baby sitting it until she returns from exile in Princeton, NJ.

I don't think I'd go with it on a bay hunt but with woodies dropping through the pecans it was classic.

·
Banned
893 Posts
This isnt the old days of limitless ducks that have never been decoyed before. I can't tell you how many times I have needed that third shot on one bird....lots of cripples would have escaped without it. In fact I disagree with the three shot plug rule. I mean you only get one limit of ducks. I think many hunters have shot a limit plus one or two hit but not bagged due to lack of additional firepower.
If you shoot ducks in range and make good first and second shots, that third shot won't be so important....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts