2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GALVESTON — Motorists beware: Texting while driving could soon be illegal in Galveston.

City council members Thursday will consider banning the practice, which would make Galveston the first city in the county to forbid texting while driving.

Officials in West University Place, near Houston, approved a ban in December.

Councilman Tarris Woods asked council members to consider banning “electronic messaging while operating a motor vehicle.” Woods’ proposal has the support of Police Chief Charles Wiley, who said the ban would enhance safety.

“Even prolific text-messagers will agree, it’s just not safe to do that,” Wiley said.

Researchers at the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute called for a ban on texting while driving after releasing a study that found drivers who text are 23 times more at risk of having a crash than those paying attention.

Nineteen states and Washington, D.C., forbid texting while driving, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association. Texting while driving, however, remains legal for most Texans. The practice is prohibited for school bus drivers when passengers are present, for novice drivers and in school zones.

Galveston does not enforce the school zone ban because the city has not installed signs warning motorists about the state law that went into effect Sept. 1. Police can’t enforce the cell phone ban unless there are signs informing drivers of the law.

The school zone signs aren’t tall enough to attach signs about the cell phone ban, Wiley said.

In order to install the signs, the city would either have to replace all the poles with taller poles or add on to the existing poles, he said. Wiley said city crews told him they hope to have the signs up by this summer.

Unlike the city’s smoking ban — which police said was difficult to enforce — a citywide ban on texting while driving shouldn’t be a problem since officers can easily detect when motorists are engaging in the practice, and city crews don’t have to post any signs warning motorists about the ban, Wiley said.

+++

At A Glance

WHAT: Galveston City Council regular meeting

WHEN: 4 p.m. Thursday

WHERE: City hall, 823 Rosenberg in Galveston;,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, im all for this myself. some people just get to caught up in texting period without worrying about driving too! i see lots of young uns out there and have seen a few that look like text addicts. had a young girl walking by utmb yesterday that was texting while she was walking and woulda run right into me if i didnt have whistled at her. so yea ban! people have enough to watch out for while driving without that and whatever kinda coversations they are having, arguing etc,,

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Texting : Sign Sign Everywhere a Sign

I definitely know it's dangerous, because I almost went off the road once or twice putting waypoints into a handheld Garmin GPS.

But, do we really need more laws?
I'm pretty sure popo can cite you for careless driving, or failure to control car, etc. already.

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,338 Posts
I know I'll catch flak for this but I don't care. :: I think any form of wireless communication should be prohibited while driving. ...How many times have you seen some fool pull an ignorant stunt in traffic only to see a **** phone buried in thier ear. Or somebody driving 35 in 65 zone or worse, 65 in a 35 with that same phone in their ear or their eyes on a keyboard in 5:00 pm traffic. Try it today,,,pay attention to other drivers, if you see somebody driving badly, chances are they're doing something wirelessly and putting you and me at risk........okay, I'm ready , let me have it!!

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
People who think they can text and drive safely are idiot's anyways, I don't understand why they need to make it a law for drivers not to text while driving... ohh wait I forgot the key word ... idiot's.

I agree with you pg.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
I would support an outright ban on cell phones and texting while the vehicle is moving, statewide. We have all be run over by these idiots. Study after study has proven they are worse than drunk drivers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
just another way for city to make revenue. What i dont understand is why there isn't a law for people putting on makeup while driveing. That is just as dangerous and see it happen alot.

·
Follically Challenged
5,373 Posts
I would support an outright ban on cell phones and texting while the vehicle is moving, statewide. We have all be run over by these idiots. Study after study has proven they are worse than drunk drivers.
X2

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I'm pretty much in the "do we need another law" camp, but I do believe we ought to strictly enforce the current laws against inattentive driving.

I've run off the road (twice) by women texting and was hit once by someone texting as I was riding my bicycle (in a school zone, no less.) The rules in our house are "no phones" while driving. We also have a "no messing with "Christine" (the GPS) while driving." I'll admit, I got in trouble with the kids for doing that not long ago. They were right to be upset and I wont' do it again. It is a distraction. When you drive, you drive. You want to play with stuff, pull over.

Stupid people. You can't get away from them.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Don't need more laws. Police can site drivers with existing laws. This is just a waste of more of my hard earned money. Ditto for no cell phones in school zones. Spent millions of dollars on signs - you can argue it's for the children, but I can't seem to find what the accident rate in school zones with a cell phone was. (I believe it to be zero.) It could be the case we spent millions of dollars and there were no recorded accidents. This means we spent millions and statistically there was no chance we could reduce the amount of cell phone related accidents in school zones. It probably looks nice on some politicians resume.

Eating, applying make-up and talking (yup, talking ... you know the folks who drive and talk, and have to make eye contact with ther person in the passenger seat?) They can all lead to accidents. Are you going to outlaw everyone type of distraction? Best to stick with laws already on the book - like reckless & dangerous driving.

Sorry folks, plain and simple - I want my money back and I want my politicians to focus on what's important - like steriods in baseball. (That's a joke, but don't get me started.)

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Couldn't help but notice that there was NO mention of the use of MDTs (Mobil Data Terminals) in police cars while driving. Go figure. Cops are people / human too. Conflict of interests perhaps? I just dunno anymore. H/U
Wouldn't that be the same as texting? But then again remember LEOs are the best drivers in the world. Better than all the race car drivers. They never have accidents. Its always the other drivers fault. Besides they are above the law.

I think they should just do away with all traffic laws. Then let the man with the biggest vehicle win.:wink:

·
One more cast....
11,526 Posts
I dont think we need yet another law, I think if they are going to make one it should be for overall cell phone use. Heck half of the police officers driving are on them theirselves. I dont think this will go over well with the general public. Driving is not even a privelage anymore, more like a necessary risk that cost way too much money. Next thing ya know they'll be citing texting tickets via red light camera.

·
Got Wasabi?
2,635 Posts
People who think they can text and drive safely are idiot's anyways, I don't understand why they need to make it a law for drivers not to text while driving... ohh wait I forgot the key word ... idiot's.

I agree with you pg.
If you want to know why we have so many laws, it is to eliminate ambiguity as much as possible so that the Jerks can't say "What, it's not against the law", or "There is no law against it".

·
Jedi Knight and Friend to Captain Solo
17,027 Posts
Some things just make so much plain ol' horse sense that you gotta wonder why they need to be legislated......but..........oh..........never mind...........:headknock

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
maybe we can swap a cell/texting ban and unban slightly drunk driving, say.. ohhh, .16?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts