2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going shark fishing this weekend with the parents out of my boat for the first time targeting sharks figured i would run a couple miles give or take offshore out of freeport. I know that sharks are suspended eaters and i know you can do this with balloons im just not sure how so if some one could tell me that would be great. I would also like some advise on what kind of bait to use and how big i've got 2 stingrays in the freezer i've heard this is good bait for sharks is this true? any help with this would be great and thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
454 Posts
stingrays are good bait for sharks, cownose are better than southern stingray. AS far a balloning baits ive never done it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
i done some balloning i use a rubber band to attch it to the main line. well when i was in Nc i was seting the bait at half the depth of the water i was fishing in, but i was using alot of live bait but i did use cut bait it all works. i also just tied the ballon to the main line you'll know when a shark takes it the ballon well take off or start boobing. oh sharks do eat on bottom i have caught many on bottom rigs.

Oh if you have a big enuff leader i tied it to the top of my leader. I like to use 8in ballons.

well i hope that answered a few of your questions

good luck and if you have any more questions i'll be happy to answer

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Oh yeah pin fish and grunts the size or your hand or bigger, work great alive just cut a couple slits in them or cut half their tall off. Also i cut the top fins off. whiting, croker work well as cut bait or alive. Mullet works good also from 8" to 14". also if you can catch some big menhaden about the size of your hand or bigger they work great, but they die fast so i keep a limited amount in the live well maybe 12 depens on how big your live well is. and put the rest on ice great for cut bait or chumming. i have been told sand trout works well also. i haven't tried it yet but ladyfish works good from what i hear.

ok some gear you might want to get befor you go out a chum bag. i would pick up a couple chum blocks. i'm not sure if "brigde bait and tackle" has chum blocks but i know i have gotten some from wal-mart they come in 5 lb boxes their in the freezers in the fishing section. chum will speed up the fishing if you have a slick going.

menhaden oil is a must if your going to start a slick.

i hope this helps

·
15,099 Posts
Buy Some Big Shad And Let Them Out Behind The Boat With No Weight Just A Leader And Dont Anchor. Just Drift.
Big Is 8 Inches Or More.
Big Mullet Will Work To But I Usually Use Them Alive....
Use Circle Hooks And Hook Bait In The Head.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help so far 2coolers:) I have some menhaden oil im going to use in a drip bag do yall think i need some chum blocks also or do yall think that will be enough? I've also got some #10 and #12 owner big game hooks (not circle) will this work or should i get some big circle hooks?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
you don't need c-hooks but i would have a few 14/0 Eagle claw C-hooks. i have caught plenty of sharks on j-hooks. as for chum it well help bring the sharks in faster from exp. i haven't tried just menhaden oil, well i take that back i have i didn't have much luck but that was in the atlantic.

i do know a little trick with getting sharks to clam down at the boat, but it's something that people might call crazy. there is a spot on the underside of the sharks nose that if you put your hand or thumb just right the shark will go limp. i figured this out last year before i came to iraq. my uncle thought i was crazy putting my hand so close to the sharks mouth. i started with small sharks first and worked up to bigger ones. Don't this at home. there is a risk of getting bit.

i have been bitten a few times not from this mostly small from small sharks tryig to get the hook out.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
What Red said

Grab a bunch of shad. Great bait and chum.
Sometimes you can buy a whole flat.
Fresh is best. Just stick a hook through the lower jaw and out between the eyes.

Circle hooks are easier on the fish and fisherman.
Keeps them off your leaders by the way it gets them in the jaw.

Drifting the color changes around the freeport jetties will get
you a few smaller sharks fairly easy.
Have fun be careful.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I usually just freeline the bait, hook with no weight. I was fishing for sharks once when there were a lot of shrimpers in the area and the wind/tide was creating long lines of floating cull. We could see the sharks swimming under the lines of cull occasionally eating a choice piece of fish. The only way we were able to get bites was to tie a balloon about 3 feet above the bait and try to hold the bait/balloon over the line of shrimper cull.
So my recommendation would be to mostly freeline baits but you could put one about 6 feet under a balloon just for variety and if you are working floating shrimpboat cull use the balloons 3 feet above the bait for a shallow bait presentation.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just want to say thanks for all of the advice from evryone and i will post a report when i get back with some pics if i can figure out how to post them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts