2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my most exciting bald eagle encounters! I've never been this close to one before! I waited for about two hours for one to show up. I wasn't even sure I'd see one yesterday. I was walking in the ditch along side the farm fence looking at a hawk in a tree when all of a sudden this huge bald eagle comes flying in towards me. I'm thinking no way is this a bald eagle flying my way.
He landed on the power pole right above my head! I had goose bumps on my arms and my heart was pounding. I heard the eagles were starting to show up so I took off work after 2pm to go where I saw them last year.
This is a private ranch with no access but you can park on the side of the road to site them.
Thanks for looking!

Here he was calling. He was so loud!

Still calling here!

He was really making his claim!

Time to go now.

My best bald eagle fly by shot ever!

This is where he landed. Just look at that brave mockingbird!

Nice sunset to finish it off.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sandybottom,

Where exactly, is the Warren Ranch? Specifically, where did you find this bird?

Dick
Hi, Dick. First of all thanks for stopping in to check out my photos.
Warren Ranch is located in Hockley. Here's the link for directions.

http://www.katyprairie.org/assets/pd...ters_May08.pdf

I talked to one of the Ranch hands and they don't want anyone parking on the road. Be sure your all the way off the road in the grass.
The locals fly down Warren Ranch Road.
There is no walking on the ranch property just the outside fence along side the road. Bring your longest lens and have fun.
I was very lucky to capture this bald eagle so close. I've been to this ranch dozens of times and haven't seen a thing.

This eagle is not always there so don't expect to just drive up and see eagles flying around. But it is a known area for them to hang out for the winter.

Last year I spotted one at Brazos Bend Park and two at San Bernard Wildlife Refuge. I also saw a nest on FM1462 in Needville and one at a crawfish farm on FM 521 in Wadsworth.
Right now there is an active nest in Llano off of Farm Road 29.

·
Dick - 1972 Formula 223
830 Posts
Thanks sandybottom.

I don't plan to try to find them there. I was just interested in knowing where else in Texas they can be seen.

I found a nesting pair of them last March next to the Mission River about 7 miles south of Refugio. I'm hoping they return to the same spot this year. I was there about a month ago and there was no sign of them. I plan to check on them regularly.

I got a few snapshots of them last year with a little point-n-shoot Nikon P90. Next time I'll be armed with a Canon 50D, a 400mm lens, and a 1.4X teleconverter.

Dick

·
let me think
1,557 Posts
very nice sandy... Love the time of day you shot these... ANd you couldnt find a better subject.... VERY COOL

1 - 20 of 37 Posts